Fordson Dexta brakes replacement of brake shoe linings

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pat777
True Blue

Fordson Dexta brakes replacement of brake shoe linings

Post by pat777 »

So one side of the brakes was not braking properly, so I decided to jump in the deep end and remove the hub and have a look inside to see what was going on.

After undoing the two hub screws, which had been mangled before by a previous owner, (they were well and truly stuck in place). I managed to turn one of them out with a chisel and hammer and the other one had to be drilled out and then chisel turned.

I had a large three prong puller for the hub. Sprayed a lot of penetrating oil and a sledge hammer for tapping around to try and free things up. So I got the hub off eventually. I went easy with the puller and,(I had visions of the hub cracking or such like if I went mad tightening the puller, not sure if this is a valid concern?) So after tightening the puller somewhat, I tapped around the hub with the sledge and eventually after a good few taps she started moving.

One of the brake linings was worn down at one point to the bare steel. So I went and got a replacement brake shoe lining kit today, four brake liners and 48 rivets.

So I understand that these brake liners were originally glued onto the shoes. So I need to remove what remains of the old linings. I have been advised not to grind off the linings due to asbestos risk and that I should use a sharp chisel for removal.

Anyway just wondering if anyone has any tips or can offer any further advice with regards to removing the old liners.

Thanks Pat

pat777
True Blue

Re: Fordson Dexta brakes replacement of brake shoe linings

Post by pat777 »

I came across this one video clip of someone doing the brakes on a dexta, they ended up grinding the old liners off (not to be advised). Anyway will give forum users who have not tackled the brakes yet an idea of what's going on inside the brake drums on your dexta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDskWgGciY

Also one thing I noticed was that one of my springs was not in the correct hole after seeing that the "adjuster aperture" was not touching the spring, so previously there was no clicking when moving the adjuster from the outside as the adjuster rubs off the spring.

You can see what I mean on the same clip linked to 2 minutes 50 seconds in...

https://youtu.be/RMDskWgGciY?t=170

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Here is a video clip of someone riveting new liners onto the shoes... (wrong colour paint, sorry!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPuD-zJ0tEQ

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Here is another video, showing how the "adjuster aperture" "star" clicks off the spring, also shows full reassembly and the struggles involved in reinstalling the springs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLAfnekz05s&t=792s

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

So I went at the brakes today, just did one side.

I locked the brake shoe in a vice and then used a sharp wood chisel and a rubber mallet to knock off the remnants of the old brake shoe linings. It took about 20minutes for each brake shoe to knock off the linings. There was still some bits of the lining left glued on after the chiseling so I used a Stanley blade scraper tool to get the last bits off. The linings came off easy enough in the end and finishing off with the stanley blade scraper gave a good clean surface for mounting the new linings.

So in some of the videos I had been watching the rivets that came with the kits were slightly too large to fit in the hole and the holes needed drilling out to accommodate. The particular kit that I got from the local farm supply shop; the holes in the linings lined up nicely with the holes in the shoe and the brass rivets were a perfect fit for the holes in the shoe. So I decided not to drill out the holes in the shoes.

I mounted a bolt in the vice and popped in a rivet, resting the rivet on the bolt and tapped the other side of the rivet with a small hammer. I secured a couple of the rivets. I noticed that after the first two rivets were secured that the holes, that were previously lining up perfectly were now not lining up as perfectly, so I decided to push the rest of the rivets into the linings all at once before securing any more. Most of them stayed in place while tapping the rivets in with the hammer, occasionally one would fall out. I was pleased enough with the outcome. The new linings are not as flush to the steel brake shoe as the previously glued down linings, but I suppose that's understandable because they are only secured at the point of the rivets. I did wonder after that if I had drilled out the holes that perhaps the linings may have sat down a little flatter on the shoe.

Anyway I got it all back together and the brakes are working well now. Getting the springs on was a right pain but I got there in the end using a length of electrical wire to pull on the hooked end of the spring to get them in the holes.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

I used to re-line the brakes on my Mini, with Dad (a mechanic) looking over my shoulder, that was 40 years ago and I've hardly done it since, as for most cars it's only complete shoes that are available.. Until I did my Major a couple of years ago.

The only thing I can add, is that if you start in the middle, it's easier to keep the holes in the shoes and linings, aligned. Glad you got yours done ok!
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Blackbob.

I have only had my left brake working since I bought the tractor (I only use the tractor in my garden), so it is certainly good having two brakes working again.

I started in the middle when I was tapping in the rivets. The holes in the linings were a perfect match with the holes in the shoes before I started tapping the rivets in and it's almost as if when I started tapping the rivets in that the brake linings stretched out a bit and the holes were no longer lining up as perfectly . It was okay because I spotted it in time but it could catch someone out if they were not paying attention.

Certainly a big saving to be made when just buying the linings compared to the complete shoe with lining, and a bit kinder to the environment too.

I have been reading up on the manual about adjusting the "adjustable steady posts" (no 22 in the parts diagram on page 2 of the fordson dexta manual) http://www.fordson.se/DEXTA.pdf

after a major brake overhaul. Now I have not done this and my brakes seem to be working okay. Just wondering do others follow this procedure and is it necessary? What would be the pitfalls of not following this adjustment procedure?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I recommend you do that, it will give the brakes the correct clearances for ideal working.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

I bought a set of "transfer punches" when I riveted brake linings. They were really handy on helping mushroom the rivet. The set has since been invaluable being used what they are intended for in marking out holes. For the price they are definitely an asset to your toolbox. There are plenty of sets to choose from on line
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks Sandy, I thought you might! I'll have to have another read of the manual to try and get my head around what exactly is involved in the procedure for adjusting the steady posts.

Also thanks Bluebilly, I'll have to look into the transfer punches, I did feel like it was a bit of a bodge job with the bolt in the vice and hammering the other side of the rivet.