Shipping my Dexta to the UK when we immigrate next year?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Shipping my Dexta to the UK when we immigrate next year?

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi folk,
My wife and I are planning on immigrating to the UK(destination not decided yet) early in 2022 depending on visas etc. I have put a lot of work and money into my Dexta restoration and it breaks my heart to leave sell it here in South Africa. My reason for buying and restoring it was so that I could enjoy tractor runs, one of my bucket list wishes, but those are not held here at home anymore probably get hijacked on the trip :shock:. I am aware of the cost but as I mentioned above to have spent all the time and money on the Dexta, I am married to the ol' girl :D .

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Shipping my Dexta to the UK when we immigrate next year?

Post by mathias1 »

Well, it will cost a bit to put it in a container. Maybe you can try to find an old county there and ship it back to the uk. Might get you some profit
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Good morning Mathias, unfortunately the Counties are like hens teeth here :) . My aim is to enjoy your tractor runs not to sell my Dexta, I have always joked with my family that when I die, they will have to hire a JCB and dig a big grave and bury me with the Dexta :). Anyway sense will prevail and might change my mind. My point is that the cost to ship plug registering etc will not buy me a Dexta overseas that I can just get on and drive away :D .
Mervyn.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like you've got a difficult decision here. Whether you ship it with you or sell it and get another one, I think it will be quite expensive. I would see how you can get it shipped first, you might be lucky and find someone is already shipping something along those lines (several steam engines have returned to Britain from all over the shop, including a Glasgow built South African one), It should be quite easy to find a slot in a ship (it's not a massive 50 ft engine as I mentioned before), what might be more difficult is to find a ship.
Good luck and hope your Dexta can come with you!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Might be easier to ship it first to a port in the netherlands, like Rotterdam?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Guys, I have made contact with a gentleman from a company "Mycarimport" and has given me a quote to pick up the vehicle at my home take it to the closest port which could be Durban or Cape Town. From there shipped to your London port then have the all the necessary clearance issues delt with, registered with your DVLA, registration plate delivered/or fitted ready for the road.
Mervyn