Excessive Steering Play

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Excessive Steering Play

Post by nickfair »

Started using my 59 Dexta on the road and noticed the nearside steering drop arm from the rocker shaft moves excessively (unlike the offside which is ok) causing the wheel to oscillate left and right. It is even more noticeable with weight on the back. Can anyone help me to solve this one? Thanks Nick

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Excessive Steering Play

Post by Billy26F5 »

See how tight the drop arm is, a loose one will wear beyond use quickly. If that doesn't sort it see if the rocker shaft moves with it, if so you'll have to open the sterring box and look inside.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at that and see how it goes. Cheers Nick

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

The steering shaft has a lot of play as does the rocker shaft. To enable me to progress with this I am trying to remove the steering wheel. The steering nut is proving impossible to undo. Can anyone let me know how they have removed this nut and steering wheel?

I've been spraying WD40 copiously. Also I'm using a large open ended spanner that I've modified to fit, but would prefer a socket but don't know the size or where to get one?Thanks much appreciated. Nick

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It's quite large, and you definitely want a socket, I can't tell you the size till tomorrow, try holding the wheel with one hand and pulling the spanner with the other. It will be a lot easier if someone else can help you with this as it gives more torque to shift the nut.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bluebilly
True Blue

Post by Bluebilly »

To get steering wheels off I have an old 3 legged bearing puller that I modified. I took off the legs and got 3 lengths of chain in their place, just loop the chain round the spokes and back up to the spider where both ends are secured with a bolt. Where the chain touched the wheel spokes I have pieces of pipe that I used to avoid damaging the spokes. It works well for me. I've seen other designs, but they all work in a similar manner...I used chain because I just happened to have some hand and it was an easy, quick mod.
1948 E27N
1958 Dexta
Roadless 75
TEF 20
MF135 multipower
MF 165
MF 240
SAME Solar 60

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Bluebilly wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:43 am
To get steering wheels off I have an old 3 legged bearing puller that I modified. I took off the legs and got 3 lengths of chain in their place, just loop the chain round the spokes and back up to the spider where both ends are secured with a bolt. Where the chain touched the wheel spokes I have pieces of pipe that I used to avoid damaging the spokes. It works well for me. I've seen other designs, but they all work in a similar manner...I used chain because I just happened to have some hand and it was an easy, quick mod.
Nick is not quite at that stage yet. The nut measures 42 mm, a true hexagonal socket of that size will be fine.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks for coming back to me with your solutions. I'll try the 42mm socket and chain; I was hoping there would be a way to lock the steering to secure it whilst wrestling with the steering wheel nut. I'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Nick

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Nick
If you can get hold of an impact driver, (big battery ones have alot more torque than air) you shouldn't need to lock the steering. I used my Makita on a Major steering wheel nut that as far as i know had never been off
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You could also turn fully left first, but I don't think you should risk damaging any bit by doing that, so don't strain it any more than you would by turning sharply.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks, I tried turning it hard left then trying to undo the nut but it didn't feel good when the pressure went on hard so I backed off as I didn't want to risk damaging something. I'm sure I'll get there in the end though.

Nick

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Got the steering nut off. Now trying to get the steering wheel off. Applied WD40 copiously for weeks to the steering wheel shaft spline. Used a puller but the steering wheel won't budge and is starting to deform. Any other suggestions how to remove it so i can replace the bearings? I notice on the replacement part the steering splines are very fine and must foul up easily and so I'm not surprised that it won't come off.

Nick

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Try adding diesel too and maybe giving it a gentle tap with the puller reasonably tight.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

nickfair
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nickfair »

Thanks, I'll try diesel. I've tapped the puller as I've tightened it though.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

I had to cut mine off with a disc cutter and then replace the top shaft. The thing to watch out for it you do replace the top shaft is that they come in slightly different lengths so you need to figure out what length your original one was then ask the supplier to measure theirs. Try Dunlop Tractor Spares. pm me if you would like a useful steering box restoration guide.
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed