Fordson dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Thedextav8
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson dexta

Post by Thedextav8 »

Hello i have a dexta 1963 ca orignally gear and engine. The engine puffs a Little during vold start up could be the Little feeding pump or a injektorer and the glowing prosedure have i been told is a Little different glow the plug first and then pump diesel at it the tractor fires straigt up but smokes very blue and rattle like it dont want to idle right before it goes 3-4 minuttes and then it idles fine again. I have tried to pump on feeding pump to see if it is Little low on feeding the master pump. And have a Little change there

Is it possible to set another Exhaust damper on it to make it more silencer then for now i redd on another forum that it would be a problem with the airfilter if it was changed to a bigger Exhaust pipe i see some dexta comes with a Little bigger silencer than the thin one. Because on full trottle it is a Little bit loud.

I have seen another pic with a Little longer tube on the air filter will that make it a Little quiker on the bottom or do i need to change the injection pump to make it goe a Little Harder When idiling my grand dad had a super dexta engine in a dexta and i ran very vell before we take it out selling it and placed a v8 Chevrolet engine in it😊 dont have it any more

The tractor uses a Little oil but minimal and have been changed Too spin on filter with other micron on filter so it filtrates the oil better

Thanks for answering

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson dexta

Post by Billy26F5 »

Smoke during a cold start is totally normal, epecially from a Dexta as it's indirect injection. For heating press the heater button and hold for 40 seconds, just after pressing the heater press the primer (next to the fuel tap) once, just before the 40 seconds are up try starting immediately pressing the primer 2 or 3 times. Always pump the lift pump until there's no resistance on the lever first, this will ensure good fuel delivery. What silencer do you have (pic will help)? If you have a straight pipe it will be loud, but you should be fine with the original silencers (the ones used in production or the original replacement ones). Don't forget to clean the sump strainer when you change the oil and filter.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Thedextav8
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Thedextav8 »

Hello sand my old grandfather had this super dexta engine with another Exhaust

I cant come with pics it dont work

But the original ones is very thin in the middle and some others have a larger silencer like the Volvo 350 tractor like its blowed up a Little more to cut the high sound

The silencer is a Little deeper sound.

Will it afect the air combustion and out let Exhaust because of vacum steering the super dexta have the incetion pump in one

Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

For pics try this:
viewtopic.php?p=53955#p53955
The original silencers are thin (4" in diameter) and long (18" long), you really should be ok if they're in good condition. The exhaust will not affect a pneumatic governor, what will is the air filter, and you should never run without it being appropriately clean and with the pre cleaner off. If you have a Super Dexta or a post April 1962 Dexta you should have the minimec that is mechanically governed.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Thedextav8
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Thedextav8 »

Hello sorry for late answer but i look at another forum if you remove the exhaust pipe from smaller to bigger you could loose a little power because of the resistans in engine.

But i have another question can you locking the lifter arms with the one and only hydraulic output. Because i dont need the tip function or could i be an over load for the block because there isnt a safety valve for the hydraulic so when i drive with loaded bucket the tractor dosnt explod in the hydraulic block. I dont have the locking arms for hydraulic to off load during highway run so the pump doesnt need to job all the time. Or is this dangerous to do. I have taken away the bend and hose for output and then i took a blend down in the bend hole. And thighten it down i just a little courios if this gonna come like a projetile in my cheek.🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Another thanks.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You shouldn't loose power noticeably, if it's a bigger silencer of the same kind you'll actually gain power.
The external service valve will allow the arms or the external service tapping to operate (not both at once), there is a pressure relief valve on the pump itself below the RH footplate so no worries about blowing anything up. The pump is designed to provide 3.31gal/min at 2500psi, so don't worry about it holding up the arms. If you want to plug the external service tapping (I don't think you need bother doing so) use a 1/2"BSP plug, don't risk distorting the tipping pipe as if you then decide you want it you'll need to make another one. Some pics will help to see what you have.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Thedextav8
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Thedextav8 »

Thedextav8
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Thedextav8 »

Well the exahaust pipe didnt make it trough but i can draw a simple meaing.

But as you see on the hydraulic block the hole where the hose and bend was attached there i placed a little plug. So if the arms stay i loaded let us say half way over the ground and then pull it out you locking the arms in posision and it dont goes up or down before you push it in again then hydraulic function again so thats the question will the loaded bucket make overload press on to blending point where the 1/2 bsp is or will it handle the press🤷‍♂️

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

One of your pics isn't visible, you should be able to take a loaded bucket easily, the hydraulics can lift a plough in work so a bucket won't be much. I do recommend you don't have the external services valve out and the control lever in raising position as it will just waste engine power pumping through the relief valve.
Sandy
ImageImageImage