Screws on engine block leaking

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Screws on engine block leaking

Post by Bounce »

Can anyone tell me what the flat plate on the side of the right side of the engine block with the 2 screws in it is for?

I didn’t pay much attention to it while I had the engine stripped but never noticed whether the screws went all the way through the block, but now one of the screws is leaking oil. Not sure if it’s old oil, it certainly doesn’t look like the fresh oil that is in the engine.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Screws on engine block leaking

Post by Billy26F5 »

They're plugs and they will leak if they're not tight enough, but be careful as they're pretty soft.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bounce »

Thanks again Sandy.

Ive now noticed a bit of a leak from the front crank seal, I removed the pulley and found it to be a bit worn and scored. I’m going to try a speedi-sleeve on it, but not sure if I should also change out the seal itself as it probably doesn’t even have a full hour running time on it?

If I do change it, is it safe enough to change it without removing the timing cover from the tractor, or is it a bit risky hammering a new seal into the aluminium case without anything supporting the other side of the case?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I recommend you fix the pulley if the seal is new, if the seal is old then try fitting new one, I would remove the timing cover to fit the new seal for better access, but if your engine is running really well then I would be the first one to tell you to interfere as little as possible with a superb engine. I would start with the pulley in any case unless your engine is an exceptional runner and the leak is not a noticeable amount.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bounce »

The seal is brand new like most of the engine, so I am a bit reluctant to be tearing in to the engine so soon.

I think I’ll sort the the pulley like you said, and then get the tractor out and give it a good workout and see what (if any!) leaks there are from there.

Cheers

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

A good run is always worth doing first, some seals may leak when just fitted and bed in with the heat of hard work.
Sandy
ImageImageImage