Hand Throttle Lever Slips, Fan eats radiator shroud

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hand Throttle Lever Slips, Fan eats radiator shroud

Post by GMJH1965 »

I have a Fordson Super Dexta, it has had a total rebuild and works very well now, apart from a slipping throttle lever, the friction pad has gone hard and looks to be made of compressed felt. Does anybody suggest better materials???
Also the Radiator does lean back into the shroud which has lead to demolition of 1 shroud and wear on the replacement. There doesn't appear to be a method of stabilising the top of the radiator to stop it moving.
Nothing visible also in diagrams. Has anybody got any suggestions??
Thanks
Gavin

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Hand Throttle Lever Slips, Fan eats radiator shroud

Post by Billy26F5 »

Could you post pics please? I'll look at Davie later, but it seems you've got several difficult problems there.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Gavin, my friction pad of the throttle was also very hard. What I did was cut 2 pads from some leather that I had around, I think they were about 30mm/1 and a 1/4 " inch in diameter and together 3mm/3/16" thick. For me they seemed to do the trick.
I did have a bit of difficulty with setting up my radiator ,nose cone and those supports that extend from the thermostate housing. I'm sure you are aware that the supports on the radiator side do have those slots. With a bit of minipulating of the two brackets that are fixed to the side of the radiator and combined with the slots and the brackets of the nose cone I was able to get a fairly positive result. I had an extra issue in that one of the incased nuts on the nose cone bracked was missing and so I had to use a separate bolt and nut to bolt all three parts together. :scratchhead:
Mervyn.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You might get better grip from the friction pad by tightening the spring loaded nut first. As for the radiator see this: viewtopic.php?p=57233#p57233
Sandy
ImageImageImage

GMJH1965
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by GMJH1965 »

Hi
Thanks for all the replies. I will try the trick with the leather for the throttle!!
The radiator is a different story. The original shroud was badly chewed and there was nothing to stop the radiator leaning back. I now have a piece of wood against the radiator pipe stabilised against the water pump. There appears to be nothing visible in the manuals or drawings to suggest what to do!!
I will take pictures but at the moment can't get to it!! I could not really tell from those useful pictures what to do either...sorry!!
Thanks
Gavin

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Gavin, i don't want to steal anyone elses pics but if you have a look through the 4 pages here there are some pics and info on the radiator brackets
John
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/thr ... 367/page-3
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Excellent find John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Look at the mig welding photos, and you’ll see weld repairs to the front face of the timing cover, where engine coolant has eroded the alloy.
If I remember correctly, there should be a copper gasket behind the water pump, protecting the alloy from such attack.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Old Hywel wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Look at the mig welding photos, and you’ll see weld repairs to the front face of the timing cover, where engine coolant has eroded the alloy.
If I remember correctly, there should be a copper gasket behind the water pump, protecting the alloy from such attack.
I think it was brass wasn't it? I definitely agree that it's an important omission, and one that the fan belt won't enjoy much either.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

These are the top radiator brackets that I ordered from Agriline to secure my radiator...

https://agrilineproducts.com/ford-fords ... -cone-4193 £26.40

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

From what i can see they go to the nose cone and there are 2 more brackets that join the radiator to the nose
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good pic John!
The Agriline bits will not be stamped EnFo as the original ones were.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

pat777
True Blue

Post by pat777 »

Thanks for pointing that out John b - yes sorry those brackets I ordered did connect to the nose cone.

You can kind of make out the set up of the brackets in this YouTube clip (not my tractor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8dYtvgrtxU

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Sounds like those brackets might be hard to get hold of, it should be easy enough to make some though, there's a picture of them on page 4 of the mig welding forum link. A couple of bits of flat 2mm plate bent to shape will work until you can track down some proper ones