Fixing bolts for front wheel weights

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
truckcham9
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fixing bolts for front wheel weights

Post by truckcham9 »

Looking for information / picture of fixing method the wheel weights to the dexta front wheels

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fixing bolts for front wheel weights

Post by Billy26F5 »

This is Super Billy, but it's the same for a Dexta. I'm afraid I can't find a pic of them fitted, but if you look for the Ford film in which the Super Dexta was introduced you'll see the weights in place. You can use any bolt for mounting them, but the original ones will ensure the best fit.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

truckcham9
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by truckcham9 »

Thanks for the Pics, much appreciated. My main query is when the wheel centre has four square fixing holes and the weights have tapered square recesses how will the bolt be tightened. Can only assume the bolt head is a tapered square and the squares in the wheel centre are not functional/relevant?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The bolts are part no. 23108-S43 for weight part no. E21-HA-9. I would say they're sqare headed bolts 1/2"-13 size like Super Billy's ones. I don't know why there are square holes in Dexta wheels and also the 7.50-16 Major wheels.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

The reason for the square holes is that carriage bolts were traditionally used for wheel weights, the holes are 1/2 inch square, same as the square section under the head of a carriage bolt so they can be tightened without the need to hold the other end
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,

it's possible to use 1/2" hex bolts also. It's just a bit of fiddling with a screw driver to keep them from turning.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

John b wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:13 pm
The reason for the square holes is that carriage bolts were traditionally used for wheel weights, the holes are 1/2 inch square, same as the square section under the head of a carriage bolt so they can be tightened without the need to hold the other end
John
I don't remember seing that on a Fordson front wheel. The square headed bolt works the same way. I think the head is nearer 3/4", a hex one as Mathias says is just a bit more fiddly.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I know the fordson uses a square headed bolt, but alot of other manufacturers used outside mounted weights (front and rear) which could be added to depending on requirement. It's far easier to put a carriage bolt through the wheel with a nut on the other side to hold them in place and slide the weights on one at a time rather than trying to line up a stack of 4 if you are on your own. Without using a carriage bolt that locks in place you risk losening the inner locking nut when tightening the weights onto the wheel. Also there are universal wheel weights that only have no head recess so maybe all pressed wheels had square holes to cover every option?
Last edited by John b on Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I like your thinking, the NP front wheel has round holes though.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Maybe they figured out that they didn't need square holes if they were using their own style of bolts and wanted the NP to look a bit different in quality. A round hole is far less likely to suffer from stress cracks than a square one as it has no corner weakness. Just a theory as i can't think of any other reason

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think it's more likely that they decided to eliminate the corners as the holes wouldn't be visible in most cases as the weights are a must on a Major.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Good point Sandy