Too much oil pressure?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Too much oil pressure?

Post by Bounce »

When I rebuilt the engine on the Dexta, I never checked the oil pressure with a gauge, just checked there was oil to the rockers and the light went out. Every time I would start it I noticed the oil light would go out before the engine had even started and was just cranking, and would not turn back on until 30seconds - 2 mins after I’d switched it off, depending how warm the engine was.

On its first proper outing yesterday after running for about an hour it blew through the oil pressure switch. Before replacing the switch I borrowed a test gauge that showed 80psi at idle rising up to 90psi at 3/4 revs. Should I be concerned at this pressure? Going by what I can see online it should be around 40psi and max 60psi before the relief valve opens. Could it just be a badly calibrated gauge and a dodgy switch, or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Too much oil pressure?

Post by Billy26F5 »

Try other gauges and if it confirms the high pressure look at the relief valve, it should open at some 45 psi and from what you say that's all you should see while running.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Bounce
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Bounce »

I’ll try to get another gauge on it. Is there any negative consequences from having too much oil pressure in the meantime?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You could find damage to the oil pump, but it should be better once the oil is hot.
Sandy
ImageImageImage