rear axel seal

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
sky blue
True Blue

rear axel seal

Post by sky blue »

hi, is there any way of telling which seal ie, , inner or outer is leaking . one on my dexta has started leaking .
i have replaced the inner awhile back which is the easy one of the two, but now i am not sure this is leaking
or the outer one is causing the oil to leak. i dont have the tools to do outer seal and none of local garages want to have
the bother of taking it on , any help would be app

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: rear axel seal

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here's the manual: http://www.smallholderservices.co.uk/si ... _rear_axle
If you have oil coming into the brakes it's the outer seal, so you'll need to remove the axle shaft to fix it. I don't know what age your Dexta is, but if it's an earlier one you'll need more special tools as you'll need to replace the bearing retaining collar. If it's a later one you just need to undo the self locking nut, but it is tight (it will require a torque of 250 lb ft!). All parts are readily available.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

Thanks sandy for your time , my shaft has a nut on half shaft ,i removed the inner seal to replace and have found a nicK on the edge of housing
most likely this has been replaced before and someone has used a chisel or something , it is about a1/8th deep and
i think the oil from inner seal housing may be coming from here i may try some j b weld to fill this first and see if this works
,before i try to do anything eles as outer seal needs alot of pressure to remove bearing , which i do not have the nessesary special tools to
remove or a press to do the job , thanks again .

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like a good plan, a normal big press should work for doing the outer seal if you need to fix it, you might want to start looking around for one anyway, just in case. As far as I know there are no dealer special tools around anywhere anymore, but I would love to see someone still has some. They were designed to make a repair as quick as possible in most cases, meaning that the job is still doable without them. Only very limited cases actually need the tool like a live clutch overhaul.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

The inner seal is meant to stop oil from the rear axle from passing that point, the outer seal is meant to stop grease packed in the wheel bearing from leaking into the brake drum. If you have oil soaked brake linings you need to sort out any issues with the inner seal. If you have grease soaked brake linings it is the outer seal. Usually it is the inner seal replacement that will sort out any issues.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.