Dexta bottom hose rubbing the fan belt

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
1962 model
True Blue

Dexta bottom hose rubbing the fan belt

Post by 1962 model »

I have a problem of the bottom radiator hose of my 1958 Dexta being cut through with the fan belt, my friend has the same problem also in his 1963 NP Dexta.

The water pump spout angles forward which seems to make the problem worse. The only way I was able to solve the problem was to cut the hose at the radiator end and add length to push the hose away from the fan belt.
I am usually fairly particular in fitting hoses, and I notice that normal Dexta moulded hoses have one end angled as if the water pump inlet spout should be angled the other way to give belt clearance?

After fully rebuilding the engine I didn't want to destroy it for the want of a proper fitting radiator hose.

Has the aftermarket changed the shape of the hose, like they did with the Power Major, or is something else going on?

Maybe I have just put the hose on upside down- any clues?

1962 model

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Dexta bottom hose rubbing the fan belt

Post by Billy26F5 »

I would suspect a change by the repro companies, they often say there's a new design Major air hose but they then make it to specs for later Ebro tractors causing the hose to get damaged by the bonnet (see this:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8634), and then when you want the two part type for an earlier Major there are virtually none available, particularly the straight bit (E27N-18232). I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did that to other things too, rather than follow the original designs as all of us want them to (with a few very limited exceptions, like the Major live clutch, but both should be available). If it's not the original water pump that might be a problem too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage