Orange colour for early models.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Orange colour for early models.

Post by npaisnel »

My uncle was looking at the work I am doing on his Dexta and commented about the wheel colour, and what colour I was going to paint them.
I said the usual Dexta orange and he said that he hoped I used the correct orange colour as so many tractors he see done up have the wrong orange colour.

He says the colour on ours was never as bright orange as the one everyone asociates as the orange dexta colour.

He insists that the colour should be more like the lighter colur of the two pictures below.

Anyone shed any light on this? were early Dextas painted in a defferent orange? as in the first pic?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The nearest colour to the one they were is Howard Rotovator Orange. That was the colour we painted the wheels of Dextas and Majors in the dealership. It is a bright orange and goes right back to the first E1A Majors.

Henry Ford himself set the colours of the Majors as he wanted colours of the Essex wagons used on their estate.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

When i bougt orange paint for my Major it was the same colour as Allis Chalmers orange.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

npaisnel,

I can only recall the bright orange on Dextas and Majors. The only one's to differ were supplied as industrial tractors or those supplied direct to local Council's and the Armed forces, perhaps a few more on demand.

Regards,

Barry