2712E engine

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

2712E engine

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
I seem to remember you saying once, that if you were to repower a Major, you would recommend using a late model engine, (the one with the injector pump mounted directly to the timing gear cover)
Why, and what would the advantages over using a later model Super Major engine.
I have come across a Ford Industrial engine model 2712E. Is anybody able to give me any info about these engines.
Have been able to find info about 592 etc, but not much about the 2712 models.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The 2712 is very similar to the Super engine with the advantage of dry liners and more HP. It also has the direct drive injection pump as you say. From what I remember it will bolt straight up to the Super clutch housing although the axle support will be the usual problem.

There are also better injector seals as well.

They were excellent engines and in mine and other ex -Ford mechanics, would have been the ideal engine to power the 5000 instead of that rubbish over square thing they fitted! :evil:

Everyone wants to put 6 cylinder engines in but I still would like to see one of those fitted. There was a brand new one at the college where I taught, it just laid there in the sundries bin doing nothing. I tried to convince the head of engineering to fit it to an old Super but without success. It would have been a great project for the students.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
Thanks for that.
Do you know approx HP.
Are you saying it will bolt straight up to gearbox etc, just need to sort out the front axle support
It is out of boat, so has all the marine manifolds and hydrualic drive on it.
Thanks
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

2712E

Post by Kav »

Hi Kev, I have a Super Major which has had one of those fitted a long time ago. I have had it for a couple of years but have not done anything to it yet.It is a future restoration job as it was seized up when I got it because it had been used as a travelling Irrigator anchor, getting wet every day. The oil filter is too wide for the chassis channels so they cut a piece out of the webs and fitted another channel back to back to strengthen it. On the other side the crankcase breather also fouls the channel but it would be quite easy to modify it. The Oil filter housing could also be modified to make it fit or a spin-on filter housing head fitted. The clutch housing seems to be identical to the Fordson motor. The front axle support has been modified and turned around to the front and a bracket fabricated to bolt onto the front casting. Brian has described this bracket previously. They have fitted a long ugly radiator hose to transfer from one side to the other instead of just changing the radiator pipes. It is not a very complicated conversion but I feel this one could have been done better. Best regards - Michael.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Do both the 590e engine and 2712e have the same bore and stroke? Did any 1000 series tractor apart from the 4000Y have a stroke of 111.8mm? Also which tractors had a 4 cylinder engine using a 111.8 mm stroke?Cheers TSG. :?:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

I have e Ford 2709E engine. I did a complete overhaul to the engine, but now i need the specifications to adjust the dieselpump. Does anybody has a service manual for these kind of engines, or knows where I can get one?

Thanks,

Arno Gubbels
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

Gubbels
True Blue

Post by Gubbels »

Grani, Thanks for the manuals and parts list. But I can't find the Timing of the injection pump of my type of engine (2709E).
Can I use the timing specs of the 2715 engine, it has a bore of 107.21mm while mine has a bore of 104.77mm, I don't know if this is relevant for the timing of the injection pump. Or does someone else knows where I can find this timing information?
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

I fitted something similar to our old Major based Weatherill loader. IIRR there was one bell housing bolt that did not match up. The main mod was that the side rails would not fit, particularly on the oil filter side. Have since seen a very neat dog-leg arrangement for this. The sump was wrong for the axle tie . I got around this on the loader by suspending the engine from the bell housing only. It work for years like that. (Early Chaseside shovel did not have front engine mounts). Just had to put some thrust plates on the steering axle. Of course it would be a different job in a tractor without the shovel frame.
It did tranform the old machine into something quite lively that would work all day.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

There is a 2700-series engine that's four cylinders, right? Now, would it be possible to simply bolt on the oil-pan from a Fordson Major engine onto that one or is it impossible?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

You will need Brian or someone more expert than me but I think the block is different.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Foxen wrote:There is a 2700-series engine that's four cylinders, right? Now, would it be possible to simply bolt on the oil-pan from a Fordson Major engine onto that one or is it impossible?
It will not fit. The engines are to different in that area, oilpump etc.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Okay, thank you for the information :)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Does anyone have a link to a full english version of ford 2710 link above?

Would really like to read it, thanks Mark