My FORD 4000 6Y

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
FORD 4000
Not Quite Blue Yet

My FORD 4000 6Y

Post by FORD 4000 »

Hello,

at first I must say, this Forum is very good and interesting. My school English is not perfect, but I hope you will understand me. My name is Gerhard Hafeneder ( 37 years old ) and I´m living in Germany. I´m a Ford Tractor fan, since I was a little boy. My uncle has three Ford´s on his little farm. Two 3000 6Y and one 4000 6Y Ford. One 3000 he bought new in 1972. This 3000 Ford tractor has a original Ford front end loader and is running now more then 10000 hours without any motor problems !! It´s a great tractor.
My dream was always to have a Ford tractor on my own. So I was searching about three years to find a nice Ford. And now I have found a nice Ford 4000 6Y. The tractor was built 1973 ( Unit: 3L07B ) in Antwerp. The tractor has 4400 hours and it´s original paint. The tractor was driving by an old man and had only easy work to do. I bought this tractor for 4700,00 EUR. I have changed all oils and cooling water and it is running great.

Best regards,
Gerhard Hafeneder

Here are some pics:

http://img705.imageshack.us/g/vorne.jpg/
Last edited by FORD 4000 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FORD 4000 ( 6Y ), simply the best !!

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Gerhard,

Welcome to the board!
It's great to hear a Ford enthousiastic in Germany. I believe there aren't that many? Or am I wrong?

I have a little trouble viewing your picture.
Is the web-link okay?
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

FORD 4000
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FORD 4000 »

Hi Pascal,

the web-link is ok. You must try it more often. There are not many Ford fans in Germany, that´s right.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Gerhard,

This is really a nice tractor. You don't have to do much work on it. The paint and panels looks great.
Have fun with it.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

hi Gerhard
where are you located?i am from germany too,i live 60 km south from Bremen.your tractor looks great in original condition.on this board/forum are not so much members from germany.
you are welcome!!!

i´m restoring a E1ADKN TVO Major from 10/52(see my post´s.)
think that is the only one here in germany,but who know´s???
four years ago i rebuilt my Super major,my workhorse.

mbg jan

and my english is not so good too!!!

FORD 4000
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FORD 4000 »

Hi Jan,

it´s nice to hear, that i´m not the only German on this board. The town i come from is called Dingolfing (84130). It´s 100 km south from munic.

Best regards,
Gerhard

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Gerhard,

You are right, the link is ok. At my work I can see the pictures.
Your Ford looks great!

These pictures bring out a lot of memories to me. The first tractor I ever drove on as a kid (on my fathers lap, of course :) ) was a Ford 3600. The dashboard looks quite the same as your 4000.

Do you have a trailer brake (hydraulic or air?) on your tractor? I believe the German legislation is quite strict on that, because of the mountains?
Best regards,
Pascal

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Gerhard,

What a beautiful tractor! That is one of my favorite tractors. They were the best one in the '000nd range. Really great engine that pulled like mad.

As I have said before, we had to ease them back a bit when demonstrating beside the 5000 because they would show it up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Brian,

Do you think, the Y-series were better than the X-series?
Or isn't there not much of a difference in the quality?

I think the Y-series is more beautiful (from the outside).
Best regards,
Pascal

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The X series, with the exception of the 4000, was the worst series of tractors Ford ever built. They were designed by people who knew nothing about European farming and would not listen to advise.

We had many days and weeks at Fords, going over the problems we were getting and eventually the word got back to the head office in the US. The result was the Y series.

Even then, I never really rated the 3000 ( too big when compared with the Dexta) and the 5000 (a gutless wonder) but the 4000 was a great tractor that went from strength to strength. The ultimate in my opinion, was a 4610 4wd with a reverse shuttle. They just could not get me out of the seat at Boreham. :D

The 7000 was the other favorite, a lovely tractor.

The 8600 and 9600 engine was based on two 4000 engines joined together.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Hello Gerhard,

Nice tractor!
There are more German Ford/Fordson enthusiasts than you think.

What about Stefan for example?
Me? I live in the UK but I originate not far from Jan, actually Delmenhorst, Rudolf Kőnige Strasse.

My father, who is now 84 (85 new years eve) started his apprentiship re-lining 'white metal' bearings on the Lanz tractors 'back home'.

Welcome to the family.

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

FORD 4000
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FORD 4000 »

Hi Brian,
i think you are right. The Ford 4000 6Y is the best in the ´000nd range. And i know, that you are a professional Ford man. :clap:

Hi Pascal,
my Ford 4000 has no trailer brake. And i have never seen one.

Hi Mike,
i hope there are more German Ford fans as i believe. :D

Here i have a little update about my Ford 4000. My wish is, this tractor to restore as original as possible. So i put on the original front weights, the original steel Ford fenders ( front wheels ) for the german market, new original grills ( very expensive in Germany ), reflectors at the rear end, fender extension for the original tires ( 16.9 - 30 ).

http://img197.imageshack.us/g/p1010070g.jpg/

Best regards,
Gerhard Hafeneder
Last edited by FORD 4000 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Brian , would you say the most redeeming feature of the 6X program was the inclusion of the 4000? 8) ( As originally only 3 models 2000,3000 and 5000.)Your description of Fords designers sounds rather bureaucratic with some one way consultation. :cry: As for your comparsion between the 3000 and Dexta, I would tend to agree, as I have a 3000 and a Super Dexta, would like to dyno them one day as it "feels" like the Super Dexta has more power than the 3000.As for the 5000,when the 5000Y came out why did they not increase the stroke to 111.8mm from106.7mm like they did for the 4000Y?
Gerhard, nice looking 4000! We don't see tractors in that condition with original paint in this part of the world as the sunlight here is quite bright,and even shed stored tractors fade.(There used to be a 4000X about 20 km from here, that had been outside for as long as I can remember and it was just about all white!)TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900