4000 Injectors and Fuel Pump

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

4000 Injectors and Fuel Pump

Post by bigmax7 »

I am having my injectors and fuel pump refurbished (Ford 4000). When it comes to refitting, is there any tips, tricks or precautions that will aid the refitting of these items.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Did you check which which mark your pump was timed on? They could be 0 or up to 2 degrees advanced. Other than that it is straight forward as you have a dowel in the gear and a slot in the pump drive.

Have plenty of fuel in the tank and bleed by gravity to the filter. Pull the stop and crank the engine until air free fuel comes out of the bleeder on the rotor housing. Slacken off all the injector pipes at the injectors. Release stop, crank engine until fuel comes out of injector lines then, whilst still cranking, tighten the lines one at a time. The engine should start on each cylinder, let it and continue tightening pipes until she is running normally.

Do not stop her once diesel is in the injector lines. It will not work to get fuel up to the injectors, then stop cranking and tighten them all before continuing trying to start.

Don't have the injector pipes too loose, just slack works well as long as the pipe can be moved away from the injector. Make sure the battery is in good nick as this can take a few minutes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigmax7 »

Thanks.
I didn't take a note of the timing mark when I removed the pump.
Hopefully then when the pump and injectors are returned, could be next week or after Christmas, it should be a straight forward job provided I have the seals. Timing of pump not sure.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Set it to 0 then move it clockwise a couple of degrees if required.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian