old 4000 engine blocks

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
shergar
True Blue

old 4000 engine blocks

Post by shergar »

hi guys while clearing out sheds up at farm i found an old 4000 engine block with it's crankshaft still in and a complete 4000 engine sat on a pallet . i was going to fire the block into the metal skip and rape the injector pump an other bits off the other engine and fire that into the skip . but someone at work said to me today that there worth keeping because people restoring 4000s want the orignal engine , but i thorght the old engine sufferd from heat distortion and the metal went pourous, but he said theres a process that can fix that, any body know if this is true and are these old engines worth keeping.
thanks wayne

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have never heard of heat distortion even if the block has been in a fire. Porosity was a problem on tractors built around 1968 but unless it is between the cylinders in the block then it can usually be repaired. If it is in the bore, it can be sleeved to cure the problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian