Ford 4000 gearbox / backend oil levels

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Roadless63
True Blue

Ford 4000 gearbox / backend oil levels

Post by Roadless63 »

Not being familiar with this range of tractors I quickly discovered that checking the level of both backend and gearbox is not quite straightforward if you dont know where the level plugs are. I assume that the gearbox and backend are separate from each other?
I have found a few likely looking candidates, all on the N/S (LHS sat in seat) on gearbox I have found an allen key plug and a hex head bolt/plug both near the clutch pedal. There are two likely looking bolts further back which could be the rear end levels?
Can anyone point me in the right direction, a photo (or two) would be even better!
Many thanks in advance
Ed

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The gearbox and rear axle are seperate units although some tractors did have a link.

The 4000 should have a dipstick on the filler plug or a square headed plug on the right near the brake pedals.

The rear axle level plug is a square headed plug on the hydraulic pump near the brake pedal latch "T" handle.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

great, will have another look tomorrow, was looking on LHS as RHS door doesnt come open so not easy to see that side! Plus fordson majors are on LHS as you know!
cheers
Ed

Roadless63
True Blue

Re: Ford 4000 gearbox / backend oil levels

Post by Roadless63 »

Just an update to this post, I was chatting with a guy the other day who was a Ford field service engineer in the 60's during the major and thousand series era. He mentioned in the early days of the 1000nd series fords there were problems with people not being able to locate the back end oil level plug. Apparently it was quite common for a harmless looking bolt to be removed which actually held the PTO clutch pack in place. Remedial action used to involve removal of the hydraulic top cover (apparently super major top cover was 1 man job but the 1000nd series got heavier and became 2 man!) however it was found that by spinning the pto shaft and inserting the removed bolt often the pack could be re-fitted without the lid coming off. I expect Brian is aware of this potential issue but others may not be!