Ford 7600

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
dalglen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 7600

Post by dalglen »

Am looking at a 7600, been told it may have a cracked head. Is there any nasties I should watch for. Tractor turbo model, have already priced a second hand head so at this stage a repair is financially feasible. Not really the ford I want to restore but it's a good start as long as it doesn't turn into a major headache. Any advice appreciated
Fordson Fan from New Zealand

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

7000 and 7600 were the best four cylinder Ford tractors of the range.

If the oil, oil filter, hydraulic filter and air filters have been changed regularly then I would have no problems with it at all.

Check that the rear axle oil does not have a "metalic sheen" as this would indicate brake wear. If the rear axle oil and filters have not bee kept changed, you will have problems with the Dual Power system and the hydraulic pump.

Although it looks like a turbo charged 5000, it has so many new stronger parts from the radiator, water pump, pistons, con rods, crank, clutch, gearbox, back axle, etc. :D It was really a new tractor.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dalglen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 7600

Post by dalglen »

Thanks Brian, this morning I am going to see if it will start. Reputedly been sitting for 2 yrs. Was always a good starter, supposedly. Has cab, clipon loader, panel work has some dents but is all there, some surface rust but no holes. Can get a 2nd hand head for nz$250, owner wants $1500 for tractor as it sits, so will see . regards Ron

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Enzed 7600

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

dalglen, for that sort of money for a 7600 you cant go wrong. 8) At worst you could sell the tractor in parts to recover the $1500 the owner wants for it.Even the loader would be worth more than $1500.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

dalglen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 7600

Post by dalglen »

got tractor home, found previous owner had been using it with steering box bolts loose, to the point where the bolts either stripped or shore off. Just fitted on truck, 1/2 tyre hanging over each side and steering achieved with long piece of pipe in behind front wheel to lever it round. No good for heart, steel deck, raining, very slippery.If fine tomorrow will sort steering then see what story is with head, motor goes ok but breaths fairly heavily, sometimes drops to 3 cyl briefly. Will do filters and clean lift pump. R

dalglen
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 7600

Post by dalglen »

Can anyone tell me where I find the model and engine no's on the 7600 so I can work out what year tractor is. Engine going to be a mission, radiator water runs straight into sump. Still to dismantle but suspect block is shot. Cheers R

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds a much bigger job than you thought.

It would be best to drop the sump first and see where the leak is. If it is porosity in the bore on one cylinder, it is possible to sleeve and repair the leak. If it is leaking from the block between the cylinders then the block is scrap.

Numbers are all on a stick-on plate under the bonnet. If they are not there, some will be stamped on the top of the implement/cab mounting lug behind the starter. Engine number may be stamped on a flat area on the block, just above the sump join, under the injection pump or on the other side. Date codes are also stamped on the front tombstone mounting lugs, again on the injection pump side.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Ford 7600

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Dalglen
Just been looking at a 7600 on Trademe. It got me thinking about your one you bought.
How are you going with it. Did you get the engine sorted?
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!