Ford 5000 porous block

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
supersaltyseadog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 5000 porous block

Post by supersaltyseadog »

Does anyone know what the so called porous block problems are about on the 5000, as I've heard of one locally for sale with this problem. Does it mean a new block, or is the problem repairable, as I would be looking to restore her to show condition.
Any info would be appreciated !!

Thanks, Neil

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Porous block problems started in all Ford tractors in the 1970's. The cause is debatable but IMHO is relate to poor casting material.

In the early 1960's tractors there were problems with "hard spots" in the bores which made it difficult to bore out the engines. There are no sleeves in these engines from new.

The cure for the problem in later tractors was the introduction of an additive to the coolant and a water filter. We hear a lot about porous blocks on Fords but JD also suffer from similar problems and have to have a special coolant.

You really need to know where the hole has appeared. If it is in the bore then it can be successfully cured by a sleeve but if it is between the bores or elsewhere in the crankcase, it means a new block.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

supersaltyseadog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by supersaltyseadog »

Thanks for that info, I don't know where the problem is exactly as I havent bought the tractor, but in a worse case scenario what sort of money would it be for a replacement block assuming they are available ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Short engines are available from Case/NewHolland. They are warrantied and have pistons, crank,camshaft etc. You fit your own head and all abcillary equipment.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian