help with 4000

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
super6
True Blue

help with 4000

Post by super6 »

i have been offered a ford force 4000, saftey frame with roof, no headlights or grill, good tyres.
only fault is it has been running a log spliter at low revs and there is a thick oil coming out of top of manifold where exhaust slides on.
when running there is no blue smoke and no knocking or rattling.
guy wants £1000, is this about right and is engine knackered

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Super 6
You say there is no blue smoke, is there any other colour smoke, as smoke can tell a few different stories.
Can't really help you with the price, although magazine ad prices make 1000 sound ok. It all comes down to condition, and what you want to do with the tractor.
Keep us posted
Kiwi Kev

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Super 6
That would be about $2000 in US dollars, which would be a good price here. The slobbering out of the exhaust will probably clear up if you work it hard, unless the engine was worn out before it was used on the wood splitter. Can you unhook it from the splitter and work it? Just driving it on the road in high gear would be a good work out for it.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hi the smoke when in neutral, revving or tickover is normal colour, and gunge from manifold has only started since it was left on wood spliter, would i be right in thinking that the bores will glaze over quickly doing this low rev work, if so i will make him an offer i think.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is a pretty good price for a 4000. Put it into heavy work and the oil from the exhaust will clear.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian