Ford 4000 Heavy Steering

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 4000 Heavy Steering

Post by Andyraines »

Hello All, I have a 1975 Ford 4000 purchased recently and was hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on small problem am having with it at the moment?

Basically the steering is very heavy- I have replaced the thrust bearings ans king pin bushes and greased up but to no avail. All the ball joints are free and the tracking is good. Main axle pivot pin has some wear but certainly not excessive- all this seems which seem to point to the steering box.

Not having much experience of these boxes, what is there in it to go wrong that would make the steering so heavy and what is the availability of replacement parts?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Super Major restoration- project #1!

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Ford 4000 Heavy Steering

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Andy
What is the steering like with the front wheels jacked up off the ground. If the steering is still heavy, then that would point to a problem with the thrust bearings or kingpin bushes. If it's not heavy when jacked up, then I would be checking tyre pressures.
You don't say if you have larger than standard front tyres, or front wheel weights, or front tombstone weights or whether there is an implement on the back. Obviously, an implement on the back will make the front lighter, so no implement means front will be heavier. Front weights will also make it heavier.
If the tyres and weights are all ok (these are all free to check) then I would be looking at the steering box.
Good Luck
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Andy, does your 4000 have power assisted steering or not? 4000's out here normally had 7.50-16 3 rib front tyres. If your 4000 does not have PAS, tyre selection will influence how hard the steering is, apart from that,like Kev said, then I would be looking at the steering box.TSG. :mrgreen:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andyraines »

Thanks for the replies guys. appreciated.

I have pretty much pinpointed the box as the problem, was just wondering what is in there to go wrong? I'm assuming collapsed or seized bearings and if so what is the availaibilty of parts to sort the probelm out?

Cheers

Andy
Super Major restoration- project #1!