4000 questions - hydraulics and tacho

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
ih674
Not Quite Blue Yet

4000 questions - hydraulics and tacho

Post by ih674 »

Hi, im new to the forum so please go easy...

my mate has just got a 4000 and ive a few questions ,

1) The hydraulics are a bit queer, while topping we have noticed to lift the arms you raise the quadrant lever a little and they start to lift, but they carry on going up so you the have to back the lever off to hold it still.

It sometimes is quite difficult to balance it so they stay still.

It seems as thought the top cover has been off, so are there any adjustment that can be made? We have tried it in both draft and position

2) It has an alternator fitted, is there any way we can have an alternator aswell as a working rpm guage?, i was thinking maybe ford 4600 parts and loom???

If anyone could help us it would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, James
Wouldnt p*** on a blue tractor if it was on fire, 7810 jubillee silvers the one for me.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: 4000 questions - hydraulics and tacho

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board.

Setting the lift is simple up to a point, there was a number of updates in settings due to changes in the design of the control valve so we really need a bit more information when you get the lift off. A picture would be useful at that stage too.

The symptoms you describe is that of a worn Position Control follower pin, see the Dexta forum for information on this as it is the same pin inside the lift.

I believe it is possible to use 4600 parts to get the rev counter working again but I will check for you.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

ih674
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ih674 »

Right, so is it a top off job? Is that an easy job, ive done it on a MF135 in the past and that wasnt too bad :/

Thanks very much for the help,
James
Wouldnt p*** on a blue tractor if it was on fire, 7810 jubillee silvers the one for me.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Far easier than a 135, just undo all the bolts and lift up. (Please do not use bad language on this board! MF135 indeed)! :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Is the $F1*5 a similar setup to the T*2! (censored for profanity!) where the valve in the pump has to be removed through the side cover before lifting the top off. I had one of those menaces that I was always taking the top cover off for one problem or another. Those were the days :)
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

ih674
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ih674 »

Yea, on one of them mega machines (135 of course!!!!) you have to remove a pin from the inside likage through the side, then most likely drop it inside, then when you have bashed all your knuckles and got the top off, look for it in the bottom, then when you try and refit it you put the top on and align it all up then drop the pin again and have to start all over again. Its certainly and experience ill tell you that, one piece of advice for anyone doing it, wrap some masking tape around it and have a long ribbon of tape taped to the gearbox casting so when you drop it (which you will!!) you can just pull it out.

Back to the topic... so you just lift it off and there are no catches to the job??? What should i be looking out for when i get it off?

Thanks ever so much for all the help, you are a great bunch,

James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Nothing like the 135 under there, all the linkage will come off with the lift. It is not heavy but try not to put it down flat on a table without a block either end to rest on. The control valve hangs down a bit and could be damaged, best to get the lift on its back then you can see everything.

I do not have a picture of the lift I can post yet but this one of a Super Major is very similar although the 4000 is a lot lighter in weight.

This one of a Dexta is quite a good match for what you will find.

Once you have the lift off, you will find the linkage is quite simple to work out. You will find a cam on the lift cross shaft that runs on a pin in the linkage. This pin wears and upsets the lift settings.

I will post the lift settings once we know what control valve you have, if it has an "open" end or a "plugged" one.
Brian

ih674
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ih674 »

Thank you very much, thats very helpful. Are there any seals or anything that i should be ordering prior to the work or not?

Once its off ill post some pics and if its not too big an ask hopefully you guys will be able to point out any worn parts or stuff i should check.

Thanks again,
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I would get an "O" ring kit for the ram cylinder inc. piston seals. The piston seal is a large "O" ring and either a plastic or leather backing ring. If it is a new leather one, soak it in oil before fitting as this will make it easier to fit.

I have used instant gasket with success on top cover gaskets.
Brian