4610 engine rebuild snag

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Gavin
True Blue

4610 engine rebuild snag

Post by Gavin »

I am putting my 4610 engine back in this weekend after a full rebuild but hit a problem.

The metal plate behind the flywheel originally was fitted with a cork gasket around the crank. I have refitted this but when the flywheel is fitted it rubs the plate as it is pushed out by the gasket. Has anyone else had this or have I done something wrong. This engine has to be fitted by middle of the week as the tractor is needed urgently for a few jobs now.

All suggestions welcome
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: 4610 engine rebuild snag

Post by 5000blues »

Is the gasket and plate in the right way round?
If the seat is wet, sit on your hat, better to have a cool head than a wet arse

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

The Plate will only go one way and the Gasket just sits between the plate and the block

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

I don't actually know the reason for the gasket being there. It seems to sit over the rear crank seal but causes the centre of the plate to push out and run on the flywheel. The original gasket seems much thinner but then it has been compressed for 27 years. There are no bolts through the gasket it is just sandwiched in place.
The Ford workshop manual is of no use and makes a Haynes manual seem wonderful :)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The gasket is just to keep any oil weep from between plate and block. By the sound of it your replacement is too thick. The bolts that hold the plate on should pull it free of the flywheel, if not, replace the old gasket with plenty of gasket sealant.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Thanks Brian,

I'm not sure how good the original is but I'm sure I can repair what there is somehow.
This tractor has been fighting me all the way through this rebuild and it doesn't look like it is giving up the fight yet.