Ford 4000 Cold Starting

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
bobfaecullen
True Blue

Ford 4000 Cold Starting

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi All,

Does anybody know if early Ford 4000's had a cold start device and if so what is it ?

Bob

Mike J
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Ford 4000 Cold Starting

Post by Mike J »

Hi Bob,
I think it was an extra! my 1972 2000 has a heater plug on the rear of the inlet manofold, if i turn the key on, then hold it half way to the start position the ignition lights go out, this is the heating position. Then turn the key to the start position.
Regards Mike J

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi a friend has a ford 4000 with a rotory pump if thats right term it has a connection at the back of pump
which looks as if a fuel pipe should come off it, does anyone know if this should be connected up to the
heater plug on the back of the manifold, as this is in direct line with the connection. Gerry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The pipe to the heater comes from a small reservoir fed by the injector leak off line. You only need a very small amount of diesel and it must not be under constant pressure.

If you take it from the pump or filters you will get too much and it leaks past the valve in the heater element and fills the intake manifold.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

iwas thinking that as you had explained that to me aloooong time ago for my dexta , ithough it might be different
with the ford 00s .dont no now where that pipe is suppose to go, it seems to go up behind manifold , cant see
any more from picture i have . any ideas any one :scratchhead: Gerry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

From memory it goes to the front of the fuel filters. On the filters there are two ports, one marked in and the other out with arrows on the top of the filter. You should have two pipes, one to a banjo on the side of the pump and one to the rear of the pump. The one to the rear is fuel in, the one on the side is the fuel return.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Thanking you once again Brian, :beer:
Gerry