Engine Dilemma

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Gavin
True Blue

Engine Dilemma

Post by Gavin »

I am now the proud owner of a 1970 Ford 3000 and Lambourn cab with under 7000 hours on the clock. However this old girl has been standing for I am told about 25 years following a slight breakdown when No 1 conrod made a break for freedom and put a hole in the block and snapped the camshaft.

Now I have 2 options,
1. Rebuild existing engine including block repair
2. Fit 4600 engine which also requires full rebuild but doesn't have damaged block.

The repair costs I imagine are pretty much the same for both engines with the exception of the block repair but should I retain the originality of the 3000 or go for the power increase with the 4600. I am not planning on the 3000 being expected to too much heavy work as I have the 4610 for that - basically it will be carrying round bales on a rear spike into the field in winter and possibly rolling and topping with a 6ft topper if required at busy times.

What does everyone else think? :scratchhead:
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

super6954
True Blue

Re: Engine Dilemma

Post by super6954 »

Hi
To be honest I would go for re building the good block if its not gonna be a show tractor. I have seen guys weld blocks as you describe and get away with it.
The risk of it not working is high. You will have to spend a lot of money on it to re build then if it doesn't work spend option 2 money as well. or can ya maybe find an original 3000 block and sleeve it out if its gone porous in the cylinders this could be a problem that appears re building yours too :cry: .
Its kinda a high risk card game I guess, How much do ya want to bet :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Gavin, there is also option 3, go to your local Case/New Holland dealer and see if new short blocks are available.(New block,crankshaft,conrods,pistons,camshaft and gears,oil pump, but without injector pump and water pump.)Might cost more than a rebuild,but at least you know its going to work first time, and most likely the most cost effective in the long run. :mrgreen: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

I considered option 3 when I did our 4610 engine last year and ruled it out as too expensive. Having done that engine I know the costs and problems (beside being a mechanic by trade lol). My concern is mostly the damaged block although I feel it is not structural so making it oil tight is the main criteria.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000