Ford 4000 PTO problem

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Michlind
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 4000 PTO problem

Post by Michlind »

Hey. My ford 4000 dated 1966 has got a problem with the PTO. It wont stop when it's surpose to.

I can force it to stop when I'm using my old JF manure spreader.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be and what the solution could be?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Ford 4000 PTO problem

Post by Brian »

This is normal with the 4000, it was the only one that did not have a brake and it is situated at the bottom of the rear axle. Tractor has to be split at the gearbox/rear axle.

The plates may be distorted and this will not help but I would bet that if you reconditioned the clutch completely, it would be the same when you got it back together.

Not a bad job to split depending on what you have in the way of cab and loader. Even with a cab we just used to wheel the whole back end away from the gearbox with the cab in place, but be careful, you will find it is rear heavy and you do not really expect that.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Michlind
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Michlind »

Thanks again Brian.

Now my english isn't so go as it had to be, but are you saying that I can sould the problem if I reconstruct my clutch or are you saying that the operation may not help anything?
"it was the only one that did not have a brake and it is situated at the bottom of the rear axle" That are you saying here? did the 4000 have a brake or not?

Hope you will forgive me if I ask questions that may seem stupid, but I sometimes have difficulties in understanding more tecnical english!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is OK, most of the time I do not speak good English! :D

1. The 4000 did not have a brake on the PTO clutch.

2. It is possible and highly likely that an overhaul of the PTO clutch will not cure your problem.

They were like that from new.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Michlind
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Michlind »

Ok. Isn't there anything I can do? The problem is that I cant spread fertilizer because the spreader doesn't stop, it runs all the time. When I tried my barn became white :scratchhead:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It should stop with a load and the fertilizer spreader may not be enough. If it is really bad you may have warped plates in which case you could improve things by overhauling the clutch but do not expect too much.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Michlind, I've had the same problem with my 4000 for the last 40 years :stress: What "I" do if I don't want the pto to turn (ie when the fertiliser speader is on) is I put a pigtail electric fence standard in the universal joint of the driveshaft, so the other end rests on the toplink.Then when you want to use the pto, pull the electric fence standard out BEFORE you turn the pto on! At least the pto on the 4000's works better than their handbrakes :run:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900