Ford 4000 hydraulics

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 4000 hydraulics

Post by Andyraines »

Morning all :D

As per title, having some issues with the hydraulics on my 1975 4000. Basically as per my super major, the lift is difficult to control in position function, it's either fully up or down. you can just about position the lift arms by feathering the quadrant lever but the lift creeps down within seconds of obtaining the required lift height setting.

It will only stay up when the lever is right at the top of the quadrant with engine running and with engine off the lift creeps dow but very slowly- say a few hours with a decent load on (transport box full of wet soil)

Is the hydraulic set up similar to that of the super major or did the internals change radically- if so does anyone know where i can lay my hands on the set up info as I'm assuming that the lift has "worn" out of adjustment and that I also have a leak going on somewhere.

Thanks i advance

ATB

Andy
Super Major restoration- project #1!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Ford 4000 hydraulics

Post by Brian »

1 .. The lift was never supposed to hold a load for any length of time. If yours will hold a box of earth for a few hours there is little wrong with that part of the lift.

2 .. You say your tractor is a 1975 model, There are a number of different control valves in these tractors which require different setting procedures. Until we know which you have it is difficult to help. Unlike the Super and Dexta the measurements are taken from the end of the control valve and will be different for the different valves. The date codes from the lift would be a help.

3 .. The Position control problem sounds like a worn pin. Also, are you sure you are in Position control and not Draft control?

Down is Draft up is Position. Sorry if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but it is best to check as the symptoms sound like a lift working in Draft control.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andyraines »

Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply and sorry for letting the thread go cold- time has got away from me a bit over the last few weeks.

Yes, no problems ref the positons of the lever, it is in the correct place- good to double check though.

Could you point out where I should be looking for these date codes as a quick look didn't show up anything....

I'm assuming that by worn pin you mean the roller/ pin arrangement that follows the eccentric cam type unit on the centre lift tab and the wear here has thrown the linkage out of adjustment?

Hopefuly get the top cover off this week and get it sorted :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andyraines »

thanks Brian- for all my browsing I never saw that!

Will have a look in the morning now :D

Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andyraines »

Ok, checked this morning but has the deluxe cab (!) with the fibreglass surround- didn't have time to remove so couldn't get the code. Did get a couple of others from the rear axle casting. I know the tractor is original so hopefully this will help date it?

Anyway codes are:

14-3-75

C5NN 4024Y1

Does that help?

I did lay my hands on a manual and this gives the distance to set the control valve at 5.08mm- doesn't make any mention of the different valves?

Thanks again

Andy

Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Andyraines »

Evening all :D Ok so this has taken me the best part of 9 months to get around to lifting the top cover to see what is going on in there!

It appear that the cam follower pin has worn pretty badly- see below. Should this have a small roller assembly like the super major set up- if so could somene give me an idea of the outside diameter of the roller so I can machine a new one?

Also here is a picture of the rear of the control valve- does this give enough info for the setting dimensions?

Thanks in advance :beer: