Kev's 5000 gearbox

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Kev's 5000 gearbox

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Hi all
I'm making slow progress on the 5000( it's only slow because of other things to do).
One thing I've noticed is when I put her into gear, the gear lever feels to only slightly engage into the gates for each gear.
Has'nt jumped out of gear though.
Not having had a 5000 before, thought I would ask the question, is this normal.
I'll probably pull the top off the gearbox, and have a look anyway, but would like to know what's normal.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Re: Kev's 5000 gearbox

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Kev, IIRC the 5000 gearlevers are not too disimilar to the others in the 1000 series tractors (like the 3000 & 4000 that I've got), so normal is that the gearlever moves about 50mm from neutral to enguaging in gear with the 1/2/3/4/R lever, and slightly less with the hi/low lever.Both levers, you should feel positively enguage in gear, even if the gearlever can go slightly past where it is held by the detent in the gearbox.But then you also have to consider just how good is the gearlever and how worn is it where the gearlever pivots, and I would be looking at that first IMHO :scratchhead: .TSG.Let us know how you get on.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Used the 5000 in anger this morning. Did 2 hours with the flail mower on. Gears worked fine (just the nut behind the wheel that has to adjust) This was the 1st time used other than in/out of the workshop, up drive etc.
The 1st time being, because the Major seems to have dropped a bearing :scratchhead: or something yesterday :cry:
I have another engine for the Major in the shed, but will probably just put the time and effort into getting the 5000 'on the road' Only mudguards, cowl/bonnet to repair, and rear rims to fit. Need to keep a tractor going for the jobs.
Can then fix the Major when time permits.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:Kev, IIRC the 5000 gearlevers are not too disimilar to the others in the 1000 series tractors (like the 3000 & 4000 that I've got), so normal is that the gearlever moves about 50mm from neutral to enguaging in gear with the 1/2/3/4/R lever, and slightly less with the hi/low lever.
TSG
Thats about what I've got.
Just dose'nt seem very much, with a lever 300mm long out of the box, and probably 50mm long inside the box.
Thanks
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD