Head Gasket

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
spannerdog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Head Gasket

Post by spannerdog »

I have a 1965 Pre Force 5000 which has has an engine rebuild with new pistons and liners but now i have a head gasket problem. In the engine rebuild because new liners were fitted the block was skimmed and so was the head although i am told by the engine machine shop only 10 thou was removed.

The first head gasket from Sparex leaked coolant at the edge although he engine started and ran sweetly.

Another head gasket was procured from a trader at one of the shows which was of Ford origin as the Ford Finis code was correct when compared to the parts book, the only visual difference was that the diameter of the fire rings that go around the bore were smaller but the thickness was spot on. When laid on the block the rings seemed to clear the bores.

The head was replaced and the engine run up, immediately there was a clattering sound.The engine as stopped and the head pulled off fearing a nut had been ingested.

The only sign of a problem was that when the head was torqued down the gasket as been compressed and the fire ring has been hitting the piston edge at TDC.

I have been and bought another head gasket from my Case / New Holland dealer for a Pre Force 5000 at a cost of £68.00 to make i have the exact right part butin offering it up it looks like it could happening again.

Has anyone else had any problems like ths? The tractor has original sized pistons as the liners are now back to standard size.

The issue is definately head relatd as the engine could not be turned over by hand which the head in place but now with the head off all is well.

Any tips gratefully recieved.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Head Gasket

Post by Brian »

A couple of thoughts spring to mind, you say the engine has been rebuilt, any possibility of a new. later block having been fitted? The original engine from 1964 to 1968 had a smaller bore than the later engines. This would be the only reason for the fire ring striking the pistons. You could be fitting an earlier, small bore gasket to a later, larger bore engine.

There were also changes in piston pin heights and piston design in some of the later engines and differences in the block height. If your block has a star at the front, left corner you cannot machine too much off the surface without taking some off the pistons as well.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

spannerdog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Head Gasket

Post by spannerdog »

Brian, you are almost spot on! While the block is totally original the big mistake i made was to order standard size piston and liners to return engine to original spec for a Pre Force 5000 but actually got standard size piston and liners for a Force 5000.
When the correct head gasket for a Pre Force was fitted then the problem occurred.

Lesson learn't, all most a cast of measure twice cut once.