4000 oil leak

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
shergar
True Blue

4000 oil leak

Post by shergar »

hello

the old 4000 has a oil leak , black oil from the split pin bottom of the clutch housing and quite a bit as well so will need immediate attention.
she is a pre force 4000 but not with original engine maybe has an engine from a 4600? as the dipstick is on the other side and you fill engine oil by the timing cover and not the rocker cover need to know what motor it is as to order parts , where do i look for correct engine no for reference ?

thanks wayne
i love driving tractors me!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Re: 4000 oil leak

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Shergar, I would suggest that you should split the tractor first, so you can see exactly what you need. I suspect that its most likely that the rear main is leaking and neededs to be replaced, but what about the three rear frost plugs too,and how is the clutch/pressure plate assembly? As for parts for the engine,weather its a 4000 or 4600, I use the New Holland sites on line parts list and cross reference parts to see if they are the same or different. :yeah: TSG?
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

cheers tsw

driven her to my work today power washed her off going to split sometime this week, then like you say then order parts , while she was in two was going to replace pilot and thrust bearing , seem to remember Brian saying it was false economy not to also take a look at the clutch , what about oil seals to the gearbox ?

thanks again wayne

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Yes, definitely do both the pilot and thrust bearings, and some people would also suggest the input shaft seals too.Admittedly when I did my 4000 I didn't do them, but thats nearly 20 years ago and they are 40+ year old tractors now, hence my suggestion to do the 3 rear frost plugs while the tractor is split.(Have a look at my 3000 post on that subject.) Also check the bushes on the shaft that operates the release bearing, if worn do them too.Also bear in mind that that 4000's used several different clutch plates, the one with the 6 pads (3 on each side at 120 degrees) was really hard on pressure plates and flywheels :eyes: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

the old girl in in two half's now and the clutch and flywheel have been removed , the clutch looks in excellent condition with plenty on meat left on the plates, so just going to do thrust and pilot bearings , crank oil seal and frost plugs, no sigh of an oil leak from input shafts so not sure weather to do or not.

would like to know what engine i have for tech specs like tappet clearances etc. thinking it maybe later than i thought as it has new Holland stamp on the block.
also what are the torque settings for the six bolts that hold the flywheel on?

will post some numbers off the motor tomorrow hoping someone might know what motor i have.

thanks wayne