My Ford 5000 - first (small) test drive

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
spannerdog
Not Quite Blue Yet

My Ford 5000 - first (small) test drive

Post by spannerdog »

A short video from today showing the first movements of my 5000 under its own power.
I was very tempted to drive it down the road but my brakes are non existent. That's the next thing on the to do list.....enjoy 8)

http://youtu.be/kV5W2y1u6HI

(for some reason when i click on the link it won't play, but it will work if you right click on it and open it in a new window)

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: My Ford 5000 - first (small) test drive

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Spannerdog
Looking good.
Left click opened it up for me.
What is wrong with your brakes. Internal or external problems?
I see you have a new generator with tacho drive. The generator on my 5000 dose'nt charge, but I use it purely to drive the tacho. I must look at fixing or replacing it.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

spannerdog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by spannerdog »

Hi Kiwi Kev,
The problem with the brakes is they don't existing. After the previous owner had used it for trailer work and roading it all over Oxfordshire cutting hedges there is no life left in them. Can't get any by adjusting the linkage so am faced with pulling the trumpet housings off and setting too.
Only one problem, don;t have space in the garage and the components look a tad heavy. Local Case / New Holland dealer quoted £3500 inc v.a.t.which for a hobby tractor is a total joke. Need to find an ex Ford engineer with a barn locally, then ,by using after market parts might be in business.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Spannerdog
I took my trumpets off recently to do the outer axle seals. Trumpets are heavy, but with a chain block was ok. Engine hoist would probably work also. Your quoted price seems steep. Have you priced up parts from agriline etc, or even good second hand. When quoting , they normally allow for everything, so they don't get caught out. Shop around for parts, and for labour.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!