Ford 5000 aux valve with assister ram question

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Roadless63
True Blue

Ford 5000 aux valve with assister ram question

Post by Roadless63 »

As per title, I have an assister ram fitted but the take off point is on top of the flat plate where you can bolt on an auxilliary spool valve. My question is, if I want to fit a double acting spool valve where can I get a take off point for the assister ram?
There must be a way of fitting both?

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Ford 5000 aux valve with assister ram question

Post by 5000blues »

Sorry about the very slow reply, only saw your question now. I got around this problem in a round about way.
I got fed up pulling out the auxiliary control knob every time I wanted to switch to external hydraulics from lift arms. I bought a spoolpack with 2 double acting and 2 single acting valves. One of the single acting valves works the lift. I put a T-piece on the end of the hose going to the assistor ram, one end goes back in to the flat plate where the assistor ram normally connects in, the other end goes to the single acting valve on the spoolpack. This way I leave the auxiliary knob pulled out all the time, can control the external services and the lift arms without all the pain in the right elbow :D

The spool pack is fed from the tipping pipe and the return goes through the top up hole for the back axle behind the seat.

There is only one disadvantage, depth control for ploughing is gone, but I got around this with a decent depth wheel on the plough. Hope this helps.
If the seat is wet, sit on your hat, better to have a cool head than a wet arse

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

There's a provision for hooking up the rams on the original fomoco-valves, as far as I know. I have two of them, will check later today.
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Yes I found out looking at another tractor the spool valve should have a tapping point on the front face (nearest gearlevers) which looks like it can be piped up for the assistor ram. Got a picture but will need to download it at some point before posting

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There are two places for tapping for the assister ram on the standard 5000 depending on the year. From 1964 to around 1970 the tapping is on the plate on the top of the top cover where the spool valve fits.

After around 1970 the top cover was modified to enable the tapping to be used when a spool valve is fitted and for the Load Monitor output. There are two plugs facing forward on the top cover. The one to the right is for Auxiliary Service and the one to the left is for an assist ram or Load Monitor Ram and connects straight into the ram cylinder.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 5000blues »

Hi Brian, is the lower picture of a 6600/7600? I thought the spin on outside hydraulic filter only started to be fitted to the 600 range, I could be wrong as my 5000 is an early (1965) one.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Picture is from a 7000 sales book but all top covers are the same on later 5000's and 7000's Differences start with the 10 Series tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Hi Brian if you see this post, I'm having trouble with my external service on my county 944 but it looks almost identical to the lower picture, the little lever called system selector lever would you know which position this should be in for the external services to work or is it only the knob at front of hydraulic top that controls this any help on this appreciated

5000blues
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by 5000blues »

I think the system selector lever is only pushed down for ploughing. For everything else it is kept in the up position, as in the picture.