Ford 4600 ID

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 4600 ID

Post by BarryA »

Hi.
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for help with identifying my first tractor which I have recently purchased. I have tried the search function on both sites and can't find anything which helps. Also the "help with identification" thread on the information section needs a login and password and I don't have one.

It's a ford 4600. It has what appears to be an older style cab, not the "bubble cab". The following numbers are on the right had side of the engine and bodywork. I understand that the first number is the serial number and that the B stands for Basildon. But the others numbers given don't tally with the info on other websites/forums. Any help greatly appreciated:
B962228
SD541897
D5NN8015G
1L12A

Thanks
Barry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Ford 4600 ID

Post by Brian »

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the board. As you say the number starting "B" is the serial number and shows a Basildon built tractor. Where did you find the "SD" number/ Your model number should be something like D1014C.

The "D5NN" is a casting part number and will be the same on all that model tractor.

1L12A = 1971 November 12th Midnight shift.

You should be able to find numbers like the "1L" on all castings, this will help to prove that you have an "original" tractor.

The '600 series came out some time before the introduction of the "Q" cab and when the "Q" cab law came in Fords were not ready so a lot of tractors had Duncan or Lambourne cabs fitted when your cab was no longer legal.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Brian

Thanks for that. The SD number is on the engine in small lettering a few inches below the D5NN number. I'll try and post a pic. I thought the 4600s were built after 1975. However I got that info off an American site.
Cheers
Barry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Barry, you are right that the 4600 came out in 1975 and your Serial number fits in with this. Ford went a bit haywire with the casting code numbers and started repeating themselves so the "1" in your casting code could be 1971. 1981, 1991 etc.

Your code could be 1971 or 1981, that is why you need other codes to verify it. It could be an old part or a new part that has been used for replacement.

Your cab and serial number indicate an early 4600 possibly 1976 so the casting code does not fit in with that information.

If you got the casting code from the engine it could be that she has had a new block due to cavitation in the metal, a common problem, in that case the "1" could be 1981 indicating a replacement engine.

All your numbers including model number are stamped on the top of the mounting lug behind the starter.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Thanks again Brian
I'll have a good look around it at the weekend.
Cheers
Barry

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Barry
Welcome to the forum. Which part of the world are you located.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Kiwi Kev.
County Durham in North East England. Land of the Prince Bishops, Durham Cathedral and upper Teesdale. England's best County by miles :D
Cheers

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

BarryA wrote:Kiwi Kev.
County Durham in North East England. Land of the Prince Bishops, Durham Cathedral and upper Teesdale. England's best County by miles :D
Cheers
:clap: :yeah:
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Brian

I have had a closer look and found a date code on the top of the transmission casing which states 5M10C. That seems to make more sense and I am presuming from information I have picked up that this is 10th December 1975, Afternoon shift. This ties in with what you said about the serial number, and the registration plate which is an old P reg. There is no documentation but the plate has a history according to DVLA so i'm going to try and get some documentation for it.

The engine appears to be a replacement when looking at it. It just 'sticks out' when you stand back and have a good look.

Still no joy with finding a number akin to the model number format though. I'll keep looking.

Cheers
Barry

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds about right Barry. She might have suffered from cavitation in the past and that is why you have a new block. It could also be a replacement engine as you have an engine number stamped on it. You may find a date code on the tombstone mounting lug near the injection pump which will date the engine.

Since when did County Durham take over from Norfolk as the best county in the British Isles! :run:
Brian