My New Ford 4600 Tractor

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
awemawson
Not Quite Blue Yet

My New Ford 4600 Tractor

Post by awemawson »

Well - obviously not new but new to me :)

I'll try and link in a photo, and if it works I'll put up a few more so here goes:

OK that's not working - when I look at the 'posting pictures' topic, the suggested bit to cut and paste from photobucket isn't on my photobucket screen :(

Let's try again:

Sedlescombe
East Sussex

awemawson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: My New Ford 4600 Tractor

Post by awemawson »

Ah Ha - bingo we have a picture :)

I have had a Ford 4000 for some years, but as I need to mount a hedge flail I wanted something with a cab to protect me from the flying debris. No 4000 cabs turned up within travelling distance, but this 4600 did, complete with a Q cab (I believe ?)

Seems basically sound mechanically - engine starts like a dream, doesn't smoke (unless it's been ticking over for a while, all the gears seems to work, and the hydraulics are powerful.

Came with a few bonuses : Twin circuit hydraulics, pick up hitch, a set of wheel weights.

But it has the expected negatives:

Rear tyres are very split despite loads of tread

One piece of glazing broken (left door lower panel)

Left step only has one tread still fixed on

Hours Meter is missing

And the usual rust you'd probably expect on the tin work of the cab and mudguards, but over all I don't feel I've done too badly.
Sedlescombe
East Sussex

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Great tractor, my all time favorite of the '000 range. Not that enamored with the two lever hydraulics though, things are really complicated as far as setting up the linkage is concerned under the cover but the twin spool valves is a great addition.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

awemawson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by awemawson »

Thanks Brian,

New door glass arrived this morning and miraculously I managed to fit it without breaking - the rubber was in reasonable condition and using loads of soap and a strong thin string it went in without too much drama. First time I've actually fitted a glass like that so I was well chuffed that I managed. Just as well, as when I get round to smartening up the cab all the glass will need taking out and refitting after a bit of welding and painting.

Replacement ball ends for the link arms and retaining clips also came, but when I came to fit the springs the relevant bit of the arms is mangled and the retaining springs won't clip in properly. They are on but I don't reckon they'll be there after a bit of flail mowing :(

Turns out the right hand arm has been welded at some point at the lifting hole so that will need changing. Did the 4600 originally have removable balls and clips or fixed ones? The ones offered by Agriline are fixed balls - I've always had the removable clipped type.
Sedlescombe
East Sussex

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All the 4000 range had removable balls. I have a bit of experience of Agriline link arms and am not overly impressed, I would hang on for some original ones on e-bay.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian