ignition switch/wiring

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
monkey69
Not Quite Blue Yet

ignition switch/wiring

Post by monkey69 »

Hi all
I have a new loom and switch but lost with conection, I have 4 terminals on switch and I have 5 wires brown,brown/yellow,brown/red,yellow/white & a plain white. I thought the heater plug brown/yellow should go on No 3 ignition swith but conector is too small to fit.
Any help appreciated :?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: ignition switch/wiring

Post by Brian »

Two things would be helpful, where in the world are you? What tractor are we talking about?

Ford used different switches depending on where the tractor was to be used.

Here are a few pictures:

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

monkey69
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by monkey69 »

Sorry Brian, its a 69 ford 3000,i have a book that has the wiring diagram in it but still does not make sence...perhaps I should have a few glass`s of red wine, I got the loom from Agriline and have asked for help but it appears having spent 300 quid with them they are not very helpfull

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds like you have a loom and switch from the "Land Of Nearly Right" where Quality starts with a "C". The heater should be on the third terminal.

Looking at the back of the switch and starting from the top and working clockwise:

1. "B" from Regulator "B". Power in.
2. Key start switch to fuse for all lights etc. This will be linked to 1.
3. Key start switch to safety start switch then on to the small terminal on the starter.
4. Key start switch to Thermostart.
5. Key start switch to voltage stabiliser in instrument panel.

Hope this helps.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

monkey69
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by monkey69 »

cheers brian,
but my ignition switch only has 4 terminals not 5 as in your pic....why do people sell and list stuff as original and its not...even the new foot plates don't fit. :shock:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I know just how you feel, problem is there is no competition among the suppliers and all sell the same rubbish from the same manufacturer. I have had the same problem with the ignition switch on my petrol Dexta, I have now had six switches in the past three years from different suppliers and at different cost. They all last about six months before ceasing to work or breaking internally.

You are going to have to find an original switch if you can. On your tractor, as you can see from the details from the manual, they were either fitted with a three position or five position switch. On the three position switch, do not take any notice of the wire 9 where it says thermostart as this wire doubles up as the coil wire on a petrol tractor.
Brian