Ford 3600 steering

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Ford 3600 steering

Post by oehrick »

Had to reconnect the steering ram thread to rod end joint on my neighbours 3600 about a month ago, all OK until he was rushed into hospital last week and while the girls were mucking out it snapped the n/s ram inside the cylinder (there had been a bend in the rod which I did my best to eliminate during my repair) so I got a panic call that it had died and spewed oil everywhere.

Managed to get the cylinder off its mount OK plus the rod end bits, a local repair outfit picked them up with a view to replacing when fixed, however I'm a bit concerned that the bend in the ram was much worse than when I refitted it, I wondered if it was bottoming somewhere near full ram in (lh lock), which would explain the ram thread pulling out and the ram breakage - is there anything which can act as an endstop that needs checking ?? there is no link between near and offside king pin crank arms, each side being independent with a cylinder each side.

Any pointers welcome, it'll be a while before he's back in harness so more important than usual it is problem free.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Ford 3600 steering

Post by Brian »

At the bottom of the stub axles are the stops that prevent the stub axle moving overcentre when you turn. These get worn/broken off especially with power steering systems. Might be the first place to check.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Ford 3600 steering

Post by oehrick »

Ah, thanks for that Brian, It was very mucky around it and fortunately I didn't need to lay down & dirty to get it apart, but neither did I look under that area either - will have a look when next I go down - replaceable stop or weld up to suit job normally ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes