Six Cylinder Super Majors

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Six Cylinder Super Majors

Post by CraigScania »

Hi guys im new on here but was reared on Super and Power majors.I have the chance of 2 Super Majors fitted with 6 clyinder engines.On both of them the A frame on the front axle has been lengthened rearwards behind the sump and look like its been profesionally converted. Is there anything else i should look out for as its the first time ive came across one of these beasts.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Hi and wellcome. On six cylinder coversions (if Ford 590E) the A-frame is one thing as You mention and then the connection engine/gearbox is another critical point, but if it´s buildt professionally there will be no problem. If the original aluminum oilpan is still in use then some other supportframe is a must. Only the oilpan cant take all the stress of the tractor. Some pictures of the tractor would be nice and specially from the olipan/gearbox section. Live PTO is not a wery good combination with a six so be careful if You have one.

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

Hi Grani thanks for that info.Going back on Tue to give the tractors a good going over and to hear them running so will take some pics then.Got a couple of casting numbers(D5J and D18J) and i reckon the tractors are 1963?.One of them has a Power major bonnet but it has disc brakes and a diff lock so i think it is really a Super.The oilpan hasnt got a step in it like the pans i have seen in pictures and so i think i could have been modified as well.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Grani,

Why do you think, that live PTO isnot a good combination with a 6 cilinder? Too much HP?
My Super has live PTO and within a couple of months a 6 cilinder in front of it. But I must say, that I will use it as a hobby-tractor. :)
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The Live Clutch in the Major was at its limits with the 55hp New Performance. To put a 6 through it is overpowering it.

There also could be problems with the flywheel and the lighter construction of the one in the live clutch tractors. Just wondering about flywheel breakup. The 6 cylinder fly wheels are sometimes much larger eg the double one used in Roadless and County tractors.

I am also using one as a weight on the back of Harriet and that is far heavier than a Major one.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Pascal wrote:Hi Grani,

Why do you think, that live PTO isnot a good combination with a 6 cilinder? Too much HP?
My Super has live PTO and within a couple of months a 6 cilinder in front of it. But I must say, that I will use it as a hobby-tractor. :)
It is ok if You keep in mind these varnings when driving. The live pto system has only 12" drive disc when the single clutch is 13" and with mutch less beakable parts. I have a friend who change the gearbox to a normal after the double clutch had become a complete mess.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

CraigScania wrote:Got a couple of casting numbers(D5J and D18J) and i reckon the tractors are 1963?
D5J=5:th of april 1963 and D18J=18:th of april 1963

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Thank you, guys, for your reactions.
I will be gentle at my clutch. :D

How did they do it at County and Roadless? Didn't they had a live PTO?

I spoke a guy, who will help me with the conversion. He spoke to my about adjusting the flywheel. Probably because the 4 cylinderfly wheel was to light?

I have an engine from a truck. The clutch is still on it. Probably a 13"?
If it doesn't work with the 12", I can probably use the 13"?
Best regards,
Pascal

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Pascal wrote:Thank you, guys, for your reactions.
I will be gentle at my clutch. :D

How did they do it at County and Roadless? Didn't they had a live PTO?

I spoke a guy, who will help me with the conversion. He spoke to my about adjusting the flywheel. Probably because the 4 cylinderfly wheel was to light?

I have an engine from a truck. The clutch is still on it. Probably a 13"?
If it doesn't work with the 12", I can probably use the 13"?
You can´t use the 13" clutch with live PTO. You have to change to a normal gearbox to be able to use the 13"
On Roadless Ploughmaster 6/4 the 590E engine was set at 76 hp and I think they had their reasons. You have 108hp in Yours.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Thank you for your reaction, Grani.
I will keep it in mind.
Best regards,
Pascal

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

Thanks for all the info guys and i will check out if these tractors are live drive or not.Hope to post some pics in the next couple of days.

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

Where are these majors ?

Cheers Sandy

CraigScania
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CraigScania »

They are both outside Edinburgh. Cheers Craig