1964 Ford 4000 driving me nuts..

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Dandy Dave
True Blue

1964 Ford 4000 driving me nuts..

Post by Dandy Dave »

Been helping a buddy with a 1964 Ford 4000. It is a 4 cylinder model built between 1962 and 1965. Leaking fuel into to the oil pan. What I have done. Got a rebuilt injection pump. Had to take it back as it had some striped screws in the timing mark cover. Repaired or replaced as necessary. Brought it back and installed it. Tractor started and ran as it should. After running the tractor for about 4 hours my friend called me back and said there was fuel pouring out of the oil pan again. Took the pump back off and back to the injection shop. They tested it and said it was fine and did not leak and charged me for that. They said it had to be a line in the engine under the valve cover. Pulled the valve cover off after reinstalling the pump and checked the lines. I don't see any leaks anywhere. This is a gravity feed system. No lift pump on this engine so we can eliminate that. Last thing would be the injectors. Runs good on all four cylinders. My better judgement tells me it most likely isn't that because as fast as the oil pan fills up I would think that it would have liquid locked a cylinder if it leaked while sitting still. Any place else one of these systems can leak fuel into the oil? Or did the injection pump rebuilder lie to me about that the pump did not leak? Anyone else have this problem. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: 1964 Ford 4000 driving me nuts..

Post by Old Hywel »

Your posting puzzled me, since the only 4000 I know is the 3 cylinder diesel World Series. It seems, however, that there was a US model 4000 ‘almost identical to the 801 and 901 series’.
As such I can’t help in any detail. Does any part of the leak off pipe run under the rocker cover, where any leak would be internal?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yes. I have the valve cover off of it and have started it and don't see any leaks in any of the blead off lines. And yes. This is the 4 Cylinder American version that was only built for a few years. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Old Hywel wrote:Your posting puzzled me, since the only 4000 I know is the 3 cylinder diesel World Series. It seems, however, that there was a US model 4000 ‘almost identical to the 801 and 901 series’.
As such I can’t help in any detail. Does any part of the leak off pipe run under the rocker cover, where any leak would be internal?
Yes , that "4000" was a North American model only made from 1962-64 :roll:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Dandy, sorry to hear your your delemer. Have you tried other tractor forums on the net? Being an American build tractor they may be able to help you.
Mervyn.