Draft and Position Control Ford 4100

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Draft and Position Control Ford 4100

Post by Fordskin »

Hi, I’ve recently picked up a 1977 4100 (my first tractor). The draft control has a snapped plunger rod so I’m unable to use it until I source a spare.
The position lever seems complete but has no effect on the three point linkage. Would this be due to the draft no being in a certain position??
Currently when I move the position lever there’s nothing, not the slightest movement or change in engine rhythm. Is there a valve I need to set in a certain position etc? As I say I’m an utter newbie!
Thanks
In advance
FS

John b
True Blue

Re: Draft and Position Control Ford 4100

Post by John b »

Hi, draught control shouldn't stop the hydraulics working. There is an auxilliary services knob in front of the seat for the tipping pipe, it should be pushed all the way in. Daft question but have you checked the oil level in the back end?
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, I’ve not tried anything yet as I’ve only drove it into the barn and tried the position then. I looked in the owners manual which refers to the A.S.C valve that you mention it says “the A.S.C valve (where fitted) should be pulled out for external cylinders, pushed fully in for three point linkage or the middle position for both together”.
By saying “(where fitted)” I assume it’s not on all models?
I seem to have a long handled lever for the remote valves, would this serve the same purpose as the A.S.C valve switching the hydraulic oil from the linkage to the external valve?

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I'm not sure if the asc valve was on all models, it's fitted to mine but there do seem to be a few variations. I completely restored a 4100 and found that they are made up of all sorts of bits, the front half is a 3600 and the back is a 4600. It sounds as though either the pump insn't engaging or there is no oil getting to it. There were 2 types of pump fitted to the 4100s, the earlier type is bolted onto the engine near the front and the later type is in the back end behind a plate behind the R/H footplate. There is also a hydraulic oil filter under the L/H footplate. I would start by checking thet you have oil in the back end first, its UTTO oil in the 4100 as it has 'wet' disc brakes
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Yes, does seem a bit of a mish mash, I quite like it, nice little yard tractor. Will start with oil level check. Doing fuel filters and engine oil change and filter this week, I’ve been sold universal tractor 10-30w by the local dealer on the basis I can use it everywhere, would you recommend for the rear axel/hydraulics too?

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

No, it has to be a UTTO oil in the back end or you'll end up with no brakes! They are good little tractors, just a pain to get the right bits for sometimes. Just wait until you get a leaking back axle seal and have to change it, then the fun begins! Other than that they are pretty straight forward to work on. Does yours have a cab?

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Yes, has the Q cab, bit out of balance but I quite like it.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Mine had a lambourne cab but i ended up taking it off, it was all cab and no tractor! I would have left it on if i was going to use it for work. If your control linkages aren't working you'll have to take the top cover off to sort them, not hard but very heavy!

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

I’m hoping it’s just an oil level / pressure problem … fingers crossed.
Going back to the oil for the rear axle, the oil I was sold ( TOTAL MULTAGRI SUPER 10W-30) the gunf says “ Mechanical transmissions fitted with oil bath brakes, Hydraulic lift and assistance circuits, Power take-offs and multidisc clutches operating in oil and Hydrostatic steering systems”. Does this mean it’s suitable for the 4100 axle?

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

I'm not an oil expert but i think you are right, UTTO is transmission/ back end oil only while yours is STOU which can be used in the engine as well. As long as it's for wet brakes and pto clutches it's fine. Sorry for the confusion, i thought you had an ordinary universal oil

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Thanks John, I’ll confirm with the dealer and post back here for reference

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Checked oil level and it’s just short of max, looks nice and clean too. I’ve ordered a new hydraulic filter and will do a fluid and filter change. Also managed to find a draft lever plunger which I’ve ordered, can’t help but think I’m missing something simple that needs doing to engage the 3 point linkage raise and lower.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Before you change the oil i think you may need to remove the top cover. If the draught control is broken there's a good chance that you have a problem with the other linkages in there. I think there is a spring inside that activates the valve and it has been known to break, could also be the unloader valve stuck open. Does the pto work? If it does then the pump drive is working.
John

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Hi, yes the PTO is working fine.
Rather than the ASC valve, I have a remote valve lever. From
What I understand , if I push it left it diverts pressure to the external spool valve. When I push the lever left the engine bogs down, presumably because I have nothing attached to the valve.
There’s a detent position which I assume is neutral which is when the 3PL should work. The lever will then turn further right (towards draft and pos levers), I assume this should be external valve and 3PL combined?
I need more time in the seat, I’m hoping the valve lever is fussy with position to make the 3PL live.
Will spend a bit more time experimenting and then brace myself for a top cover lift off.
Thanks Dave
Pete
Last edited by Fordskin on Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Found this post on another forum, this sounds very much like my issue, the 4100 manual makes reference for the 3PL control via the ASC but not the spool valve lever. Hopefully my tractor suffers with a very fussy lever position.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/thr ... rk.246435/

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hopefully that'll be the problem, mine has the asv knob so i can't help you with the lever position. Some David Browns are pigs for getting all the valves and controls in the right order for everything to work, so as you say its a case of trying all the combinations. At least it doesn't sound like you have any pump issues so thats a big plus. If you do have to take the top cover off it might be worth checking the hydraulic cross shaft bushes and seals, the bushes are prone to wear and the seals disintegrate allowing dust and crap into the back end.
Cheers
John

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Thanks John, you’ve been a great help, it’s much appreciated!

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

If you've ever got any questions just ask and i'll try and help, i learned alot about 4100s the hard way when i rebuilt mine!

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

Thanks John, brace yourself!

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordskin »

3PH all working fine, turns out it’s just very fussy on valve position. Think I’ll still have the top cover off and see if there’s any adjustment to be taken advantage of.
Thanks again John… & brace yourself for future brain picking!

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Glad to hear it works! At least you'll be able to sort the draught linkage if you take the top off. Make sure you have a workshop manual handy when you do, some of the bolts look like they need removing to get the top off but if you undo them things start falling off the uderside of the lid! Make sure you only undo what what you need to, this is why the manual is important as its not very clear which bolts to leave without it. And make sure you lift the top cover up carefully, if i remember rightly there is a pipe attatched to it that can bend easily. Hope all that makes sense!
John