Ford 4100 coolant advice

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Ford 4100 coolant advice

Post by Fordskin »

Hi,
I’m going to drain and refill the coolant on my 1977 4100. According to the owners manual I’m looking for Ford antifreeze and it’s to be diluted 50/50.
Given that the owners manual is as old as the tractor, is current (modern day) Ford antifreeze recommended or is anything else preferred?
Also does the coolant system need bleeding after refilling?
Is there any other jobs that would be beneficial whilst the system is drained?
Thanks
Pete

John b
True Blue

Re: Ford 4100 coolant advice

Post by John b »

Hi Pete, you could drain it, then run some speedflush through the system if the old coolant looks really dirty. I just put standard antifreeze and water in mine mixed 50/50. If the rubber hoses feel really soft when they are cold and there is no water in them it might be an idea to change them, they rot with age and can eventually split. If you take the bottom hose off the radiator run a hose through the rad to flush out any crud in the bottom. You could blow the radiator fins clean with compressed air from the back to the front, but be careful not to bend the fins, and check your fan belt for cracks/splits. Engine oil and filters (oil, fuel and air) if you haven't already done it, and grease everything. If you can jack the front end up with the jack under the gearbox (not the sump!) see if you have any play in the front axle pivot. If it has alot of play up and down the pivot hole has worn oval, which is common on these, there is an easy ish fix, i'll tell you what i did if yours needs doing. Sorry if some of this seems obvious
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Fordskin
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Ford 4100 coolant advice

Post by Fordskin »

Not at all John, it’s all a great help.
I’ve been working my way through fluids and filters. Will take your advice and flush the rad plus lift the front end and check the axle pivots.
Thanks again John for the advice.
Pete