6600 contractor spec.

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Hair Bear
True Blue

6600 contractor spec.

Post by Hair Bear »

Hi, question for you...
Was there ever a 6600 Contractors spec?
I ran a 1980 6600 for several years for a local contractor. It was fitted with a puh with the clevis drawbar slotting in over the top, held in place by a 'headless' pin. On the rh side of the gearbox/bell housing area there was a right angled 'hook' screwed into one of the vacant threaded holes, and a bracket arrangement fitted to the rh side of the tombstone. This allowed the clevis drawbar to be carried on the side of machine when not in use by the clevis slotting over the hook and the headless pin locking it into the bracket so it was there when you needed it. I've never seen this carrier arrangement on any other Ford from that era.
There were several 66s in the fleet and they all appeared well appointed for their time with dual power, the big transparent air precleaner, six rear wheel weights each side, front wheel weights, 5 nose weights, twin spools, this drawbar carrier, and noticeably more 'woof' than others I'd used before. They also appeared to get down the road at quite a pace, easily catching up on other tractors, even with 10 tons of grass on. I was told by the yard fitter that they were all contractors spec. not standard machines.
So, did such a machine exist? And if so, what were the differences from standard?
Although it's just as likely that they were bought with options x, y, and z, and the fitter had been at the engine with a screwdriver!
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

John b
True Blue

Re: 6600 contractor spec.

Post by John b »

Just found this, don't know if its of any relevance
John
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi- ... &th=389876
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Hair Bear
True Blue

Re: 6600 contractor spec.

Post by Hair Bear »

Hi John, It's very possible. The date is about right although I don't recall any extra stickers on it, just the 'DualPower' on each side of the cowling. We had a couple of 10 series demonstrators in at one point - they stayed in the shed until the dealer took them away again (what were they thinking with that gearbox?!) but from memory the 10 series 4 cylinder casting looked very different to these 6600s.
Thanks for the find, some reading to be done.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!