10 series column change gearbox

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Hair Bear
True Blue

10 series column change gearbox

Post by Hair Bear »

Question... How many versions of the column change arrangement were there?
There's a version with one lever each side, and one with both levers on the right, but I'm sure I've driven another version from around 1983 with both levers on the right but a different selector arrangement and the levers being flat section not round. Any ideas? Which version was the one known as the Rubik Cube?
Thanks.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

John b
True Blue

Re: 10 series column change gearbox

Post by John b »

Wasn't the Rubics cube the fully synchromesh gearbox that would change without using the clutch?
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Sounds like you’re thinking of Select-o-speed, early 4/500 only. With the difficult column change it was pot luck as to which gear engaged, whatever you had selected. Later ones were fine, though I can’t remember the lever layout.

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

From memory the select-o-speed was 10 ratios on one lever?

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Didn't some of the 10 series have a shuttle type gearbox?
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

For as far as I know, shuttle transmissions were only available (in Europe) on the small 30 series and the 40 series. Never heard or seen that in a 10 series.

It seems that in the USA all type of gearbox variants were available from the 1950’s onwards. But don’t know much about American Ford tractors.

Rgds emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

From what I’ve read (little personal experience) the first ten series column shift was the rubrics cube box. This is the one with both levers on the right.

Later in the levers went to left and right. I know some dealers did changes and updates to the mechanical side of the system.

Is flat and round lever not a difference between the 4 and the 3 cylinder tractors?

Our very 5610-II with series III details had a side shift. This was awkward for people familiar with other makes of tractor. I can imagine people loved the 40 series box compared to their old series 10

Rgds emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

That's interesting, it would explain the flat/round lever thing although I'm sure the shift pattern was different.
The 710s were no better. Same 'box but this time a floor shift. Range lever was shorter than the gear lever as was traditional but with reverse on it you could never find it quickly. We put an extension on the lever for grass pit work, it helped, but It wasn't the answer for poor design. I can't work out how, if large scale field and yard testing was done in real world situations how it could possibly have been seen as a good idea and signed off for production.