porous block or head gasket

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
qazqaz43
Not Quite Blue Yet

porous block or head gasket

Post by qazqaz43 »

porous block or head gasket ford 3000
I am new to this forum and ford tractors

I have a small amount of oil in my radiator water when i drained the block. how do i determine if this is a porous block or head gasket?

it starts ok and runs ok . is there some thing i need to keep an eye on

what antifreeze should i be using and is there an additive.
thanks R

John b
True Blue

Re: porous block or head gasket

Post by John b »

I would say head gasket, porous block tends to be water in the oil. Keep an eye on the oil level on the dipstick, if it rises you could have water getting into the oil. The antifreeze should be ethylene glycol IAT, not the modern OAT stuff. Although these engines will plod on for years with a bit of oil getting in to the water if they are not used hard it is better to get it sorted as it doesn't help the cooling and it certainly won't get any better! Also, when you stop the engine push the stopper back in, if it is left out when parked up for a while the metering valve inside the injector pump has a habit of sticking shut meaning you can't start it
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi John,

Interesting what you say about the coolant. What harm will oat do except in one’s wallet?
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Emiel, I'm certainly no antifreeze expert but apparently some OAT has additives that can affect older type gaskets, seals and rubber hoses. It is recommended that only IAT antifreeze is used in pre 1998 engines
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Lots of questions on classic car sites about using modern OAT coolant on old engines.
Generally not recommended.

qazqaz43
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by qazqaz43 »

Thanks for this advice
R