FW 60

This forum is about the Ford World Series.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

FW 60

Post by Brian »

Robin wrote:

Just been sat in a fW60 in for a repaint at Caistor Car & commercial north Lincolnshire, ace or what, if you need anything doing he his a very very clever man lives for work not many arround like him any more, can someone tel me what it is worth, it will have its engine rebuilt and looking good, :) :?:
Last edited by Brian on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Kev wrote:

Robin
There's a saying that goes
"it's only worth as much as someone will pay"
Nice tractors, but I wouldn't like to be the one paying for the diesel, or the tyres.
Kiwi Kev
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have moved this post to this board as the FW60 comes into this category.

Funny how things turn out when you are interested in tractors. Most FW30s and 60s were sold in the Cambridge area where there are big fields. I came across some belonging to Co-Op Farms and two just south of Cambridge. One was run by a farming company and I was often on the farm looking after his big New Holland combines, these were TF44 the rotary combines, or at least New Hollands answer to rotary combines.

It was quite common for the FW to drink between 100 and 150 gallons a day. Both farms changed the FWs for the later Versatile machines and these were more fuel efficient.

Only last week, my neighbors father was talking to me about FWs. He drove one on a local farm with a 10 furrow reversible plough. From 7am to 5.30pm he averaged 100gal. But, as he said you have to also consider the amount of work you are doing. A second hand one can sell at around £5000 or go up to £15000 but it is still cheap horsepower. I am going to try to get some stories about the FW out of Eric if I can. We only had a short time on Wednesday evening.
Brian

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I'd never seen an FW60 before, but I looked around the internet and found a little info on them. It looks like they were made by Steiger Mfg. in Fargo, North Dakota USA. They seem to be similar to a Steiger Panther. I'll bet that 903 Cummins sounds good when its pulling hard!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They were Steigers painted blue and white. The air pulses when they are really digging in! Like a tractor pulling meeting.
Brian

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kav »

Brian, I have a 1984 Steiger Panther lll which I bought about 13 years ago. It has the Caterpillar 3406 Motor which is much more fuel efficient and has better torque than the 903 Cummins. The most efficient running is in the 1600 to 1700 rpm range, where they are one of the cheapest cost per acre machine on the market. With a 26 foot Scarifier in the ground about 6 inches deep in heavy clay soil, you can average more than 10 acres every hour, at about five and a half gallons an hour, so the cost of fuel works out quite good. If you work it really hard at 2100rpm, it will use about 8 gallons an hour. It has the standard Caterpillar 5 inch straight through exhaust pipe. On a quiet night you can hear the bark and pulse of the exhaust anything up to 5 miles away. Best regards - Michael

robin
Not Quite Blue Yet

keep em comming guy`s.

Post by robin »

sorry brian, put the post in the wrong place, glad you sorted it. will get to drive it again when finished, after 30 years, this is a X reg. like to her more about them keep it comming.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Robin,

:needpics:

By the way, go for the cheapest 30W or multipurpose oil you can find. The water is more likely condensation that from a faulty seal.
Brian

robin
Not Quite Blue Yet

lost an eye

Post by robin »

My friend lost an eye with a Dexta at great Limber N Lincolshire putting on a plough, sharp & quick hydraulics, more so than the Major he regular used.
Pics, do you want pic of the FW60?. will go to the yard on Monday if time.
regard Robin. :)