fordson major diesel Oil pan

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
lv425
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson major diesel Oil pan

Post by lv425 »

looking for a fordson major diesel oil pan , i think its a perkins engin cast iron , 4 cyl , the front end tierod ends connect under the pan, if u know where i can get one or any info on one Thanks Alex 702-496-3382

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: fordson major diesel Oil pan

Post by Brian »

What tractor/engine have you got?

Fordson Majors did not have a Perkins engine, although some of the early tractors may have had a Perkins L4 fitted as a replacement for the TVO engine.

Would also be a good idea to give us a clue to where in the world you are. There are some sumps on e-bay at the moment.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

lv425
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lv425 »

Hey there , Im in Las Vegas,Nevada , United States , i guess i need to do more research on my tractor ? ill look on ebay Thanks..

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There are two types of Fordson Major, the E27N and the E1ADN version.

The E27N had a flat head 27 hp engine that ran on kerosene, there was also a petrol only version and in its later life it could be bought from the factory with either a Perkins P6 or L4 diesel conversion. It was built from 1945 to 1952 approx.

The E1ADN version again could be bought with Kerosene or Petrol power but it was the Ford designed Diesel engine that supplanted all other versions. It was economical, easy starting and cheap to run and soon became the most popular tractor in the world. It was also converted into many and various units from crawlers to railway shunting versions, four wheel drive tractors and diggers even powered boats.

These were available from 1952 to 1964 and went through many changes with hp increasing from 37 to 55 by the end of the production run.

You will need to know what year tractor you have as there were slight changes in the sump, the hole for the wishbone pin was increased in size in later tractors.

The sump on e-Bay was here in England and would not be economic to transport to LA. However you have breakers over there who have parts for these tractors, British Tractor Wreckers to name one. I am sure our US friends will put you right on a few more.

The serial number of your tractor is under Number 1 injector or on the flange behind the starter motor. Post it and we will date the tractor for you. You can also go to the Wiki from "Misc. Topics" or the Home page, there is an article on there with pictures to show you where all the important codes are to help with dating. You will need the code words "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty" to get on.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

lv425
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lv425 »

well below the # 1 injector the # is s249620

by the dip stick its has a T3

above the starter it has an arrow pointing to a # 2 like >2

hope this helps ill check that page see if i can figure it out...Thanks Alex

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry, you have run into a problem straight away with the engine number! :cry: All engine numbers that begin with an "S" mean that the engine was not meant for a tractor but an industrial application like a combine harvester, compressor, generator or some other application. The numbers were not recorded in the same way as tractor engines. So your engine has been replaced at some time.

However you will find codes on every casting that will enable us to date the remaining parts of the tractor and the engine. They will look something like "A12B" or "3B14", post these and we can give you the day, month and year those items were made, and from them tell the year of your tractor.
Brian

lv425
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lv425 »

well that sucks ,,, any how on the engine on the starter side (left side siting on tractor)there is a stamp of N10F by the # 1 cyl ,if that means anything....Thanks Alex

ps how do u post pics on here...

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

November 10th 1961, so your engine will possibly be a Super Major type giving around 50 hp. That will not be the date of the tractor as it is a replacement engine. You will find codes on the front axle, on the gearbox near the clutch linkage, under the seat on the lift and near the clutch side brake drum on the rear axle.

You post your pictures on a free hosting site like Photobucket, then copy the image code and put it in your message. The code must have [img]at%20one%20end%20and[/img] at the other. These are normally in Photobucket image codes but if not, they are in the banner as you write your message.
Brian

lv425
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lv425 »

thanks brian , heres some more numbers
on the front counter weight under the bottem of radiator J12V
under the seat J9V
on the front axle it reads 5J4 E27N 3010B
see if those help
i guess if i cant find a oil pan might try to get it welded its cast iorn though.....
Thanks Alex

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

J12V = July 12th 1954
J9V = July 9th 1954
5J4 = July 4th 1954

So she looks like a 1954 tractor and would have been assembled in July of that year. Allow 6 months for shipping she would possibly arrive on her first farm in January 1955.

The sump is cast steel so is weld-able with care. Some people fit 6 cylinder engines and cut and weld two sumps together to get the extra length, so it has been done many times.
Brian

lv425
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lv425 »

Well Thanks Brian , guess i have my work cut out for me to remove the oil sump , any idea what my tractor might be worth ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Over here a good runner with good tin work can sell at £750 to £1500 at auction.
Brian