FSMajor ROPS wanted

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

FSMajor ROPS wanted

Post by LesLock »

I have been looking for some time for a roll bar for my Fordson Super Major. I wanted the hooped type (rounded top) and the ability to remove the top part to enter low buildings. Lawrence Edward’s had 4 models for different tractors and it is type C for my tractor. I believe there was another make called Titan of a similar design. I know that some dealers think they are a liability due to rust and possibly the fact that they may already have been subjected to a roll-over, so they don’t trade in them. They are a bit of a liability to send in the post too because of their size. I believe new hooped types are still produced but I don’t have any details. I would appreciate any feedback. I guess I am unlikely to get a cab for it?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: FSMajor ROPS wanted

Post by Billy26F5 »

You might find cabs but not with any supporting capability, most cabs you see though are still on tractors that tend to sell quite expensive.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LesLock »

I am not sure of the current legislation in this country regarding the use of ROPS. My son took his tractor test on a Super Major many years ago and he said he was required to have a roll bar fitted during the test. I do use my tractor for odd jobs and would feel safer if I had one fitted. Would it also be advisable to have a seat belt?
It has been said that the fixing of the roll bar should be achieved by looping the fixing around the axle or using bolts that pass through the axle in conjunction with a steel plate mounted under the axle. There is a danger of failure in using bolts that simply screw into the axle (are the holes provided actually threaded?). Does anyone know of a current supplier of new ROPS for the Super Major?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The holes are threaded, and underneath they hold the check chain brackets and downswept exhaust, they're 5/8" UNC thread. You can't pass bolts through the casting without getting into oil unless you use the mudguard bolts. but that might be owkward for other reasons. The holes that hold the check chains aren't really available as the brackets are placed in order to avoid changing the tension in the chain from arms fully down to fully up, and any roll bar frame will be much thicker than what might upset the setting. Unless you have a seat belt the roll bar will be of little use. Can't help with regulations as they're very difficult to be sure of as they keep changing them.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LesLock »

There appear to be fixing points on the top and bottom of the axle and they are in alignment. Presumably they are all blind holes that do not pass through the axle and join up? I haven’t taken the bungs out to investigate yet. If, as said by some, the ROPS should ideally be fixed with some support on the bottom of the axle too, then how were the original ROPS fitted back in the day?

Does anyone know of a present day manufacturer of looped top ROPS or seat belt manufacturers?

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

Have you tried Frank Foot in Hampshire?
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Old 20 Parts list folding bar for Major.
Strange note about not suitable for steering brakes.

LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LesLock »

Yes I have looked at Old 20 Parts before and presumed their ROPS would not be suitable for my 1963 Super Major, or not without some modification. Their price is a long way from the £100 or so second hand, but I do want one in good condition. My preferred choice is the Lawrence Edwards or Titan models where the hoop can be removed to leave a short stub. Is it strange why no one seems to mention seat belts?

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The holes are blind, about 1 1/4" deep I think. Don't forget there is no original ROPS, they all came in many years after Major's were being made and as far as I know there was never a standard ROPS for a Major. Don't really know why no one offers seat belts though, as they are well proved to be essential for ROPS to make any sense.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Hair Bear
True Blue

Post by Hair Bear »

My '78 Massey with a Q cab has the threaded mounts for a seat belt on the seat pan, the belt itself was an option which I suspect was little chosen. The problem that all Q cabs generated was the want of the attempted bail out and being crushed in the door as it went over, to the point of a Public Information Film being published on the subject.
There are plenty of lap belt kits out there, just a case of selecting a couple of suitable bolts to fit the mounts to, but without a cab it will soon be wet, greasy, and possibly damaged and simply won't get used.
You're supposed to eat greens, not drive 'em!

LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LesLock »

So what was the purpose of the 6 holes above and below the axle? Were they actually intended for a roll bar or cab? And what about the fixings underneath the axles?
By the way I have just bought another book which should be interesting, ‘Forty Years with Ford Tractors’ by David Pearson. I am currently reading an amusing book called ‘Close encounters of the rustic kind’ by Will Edwards, and set in the 1960’s to 1970’s.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The LH and RH castings are the same, and the original uses were holding the check chain brackets and the underswept exhaust. Converters like JCB used them to anchor the rear of heavy front end loaders, County also used them for their hevy duty drawbar for crawlers without hydraulics (when fitted with hydraulics they used the std. Ford drawbar). They were never intended for ROPS as that hadn't even been thought of at the time, but they were expected to get high stress from the uses I mentioned before as well as many others I haven't remembered yet.
I think you'll enjoy David Pearson, most famously remembered for demonstrating Dexta's in the early period (not lucky enough to have the book yet, but got a magazine a couple of years ago where there was an article about him).
Sandy
ImageImageImage