Wanted - Dexta hand Brake Lever

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
Bensdexta
True Blue

Wanted - Dexta hand Brake Lever

Post by Bensdexta »

I'm seeking a Dexta hand Brake Lever, as the handle end of mine is very corroded.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

I've just contacted Henman's (advertise in T&M) and they are breaking a dexta. Might be worth contacting them. They got back to me saying they had the parts I wanted and asked me to provide address so they could cost up postage but i've not heard back from them since.
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

This appears to be a common problem on the Dextas, obviously moisture gets trapped under the rubber/plastic grip which causes the end of the lever to corrode. Probably the reason why these levers are like hens teeth.

I suggest that you cut the damaged end off and weld a piece of suitable dia pipe to the lever. Or if you know someone with a lathe they could turn up a piece of bar. By the time the weld has been dressed and the lever painted and fitted with a new grip, a flying goose wouldn't be able to tell that it has been repaired.

Gerald

Bensdexta
True Blue

Hand Brake

Post by Bensdexta »

Tubal Cain wrote:I suggest that you cut the damaged end off and weld a piece of suitable dia pipe to the lever. Or if you know someone with a lathe they could turn up a piece of bar.
Yes, that is what we plan to do.
I think it needs to be a piece of pipe to accommodate the internal brake release rod for the rachet mechanism.
All the best,
Ben