Wanted - shims for dexta steering box top nut

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
Dextrous
True Blue

Wanted - shims for dexta steering box top nut

Post by Dextrous »

I may have to make some, who saves them when they take them out?! However if you have any knocking around, I'll swap for some from the lower part of the box :wink:

Initial measurement after putting in a new top nut and bearings indicates about 0.1" are required, although I need to take a closer look.

Regards
Andy

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

It is a spacer that you need not a shim! Do you need it to fit between the bearing race and the cover or between the cover and the column? You can always try using some thick jointing if it is the latter.

Gerald

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

Hi Gerald

It's between the cover and the column. According to the workshop manual there are 0.004in shims and a .007 gasket. The top is tightened down to remove play then the gap measured and appropriate shims fitted.

I have only tightened the cover a little over hand tight, the 0.1" will go down, not sure how much until I'm allowed another tractor tinkering window - probably Friday.

I do have a selection of gasket material of various thicknesses so this may suffice, it will be easier than making it in steel sheet.

Maybe we need to start a shim bank to put all the shims you take out when adjusting for wear......

Regards
Andy

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Your local ag mech may have some. I've just had my steering box done.
All the best,
Ben

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

We do have a long established ag mechanic - I'll go round. Only trouble is he can talk for England - it may take me 2 or 3 hours to establish whether he has some after all the various stories come out!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dextrous wrote:We do have a long established ag mechanic - I'll go round. Only trouble is he can talk for England - it may take me 2 or 3 hours to establish whether he has some after all the various stories come out!
Go just before 'home time' :wink:

Dextrous
True Blue

Post by Dextrous »

I went round to see our local Ag mechanic, fortunately he was busy so I got a terse answer! He had no shims, but a shiny new office and apprentice - I think he has set his apprentice on tidying up and has probably binned all those not often used but very useful bits. :(