Shipping Cost

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
Gman
True Blue

Shipping Cost

Post by Gman »

Hello to all. I'm thinking of trying to sale some of the parts from the Major I have and believe there would be more demand for the parts in UK and other countries outside US. I have looked at shipping costs with USPS and the flat rate boxes they use. Small box shipping not so high but large box over $50.00 US dollars. Also not sure if there are any other fees added due to exchange rates and import from US. I have bonnet badges with the big D and a cone badge for a Super Major that are light in weight but shipping cost just seems too high. Thinking some of you over there may have some experience with shipping from US maybe could give advice. Good luck to all on your projects and thanks in advance for any advice.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Shipping Cost

Post by Bensdexta »

Import duty and VAT typically add 30% to cost. VAT is payable on the shipping too. Unless you send them to a 'friend', perhaps even a Fordson Friend :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Bensdexta wrote:Import duty and VAT typically add 30% to cost. VAT is payable on the shipping too. Unless you send them to a 'friend', perhaps even a Fordson Friend :wink:
Thanks Ben for the info. When you say unless sent to a friend, do you mean by not using ebay, because I would prefer to sale to someone on here if possible but would still prefer using paypal for receiving payment. Thanks again.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Gman wrote:Thanks Ben for the info. When you say unless sent to a friend, do you mean by not using ebay, because I would prefer to sale to someone on here if possible but would still prefer using paypal for receiving payment. Thanks again.
You can send a 'present' to someone and they pay no duty, so it would need to not look like a business transaction. :wink:

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I sent a gift to a friend in the UK and he still had to pay the import duty, so I'm not sure that the "gift" thing will always work.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Chapter & verse:
Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.
To qualify as a gift:
* the customs declaration must be completed correctly
* the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in UK
* there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
* the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary.

Import Duty is up to 9% + VAT (20%) & I think both apply to value inc shipping. + There may be a mail handling fee.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks everyone. How do they charge you the fees if something small like the Major badges that can be sent by USPS as mail using their priority mail envelopes or box that the USPS supplies? ImageImage
Thanks again.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Gman wrote:Thanks everyone. How do they charge you the fees if something small like the Major badges that can be sent by USPS as mail using their priority mail envelopes or box that the USPS supplies? ImageImage
Thanks again.
Any suggestions as to what these would worth in US dollars?
Thanks

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Why would you be selling parts just for the sake of selling them?

If you live where you do, and parts are hard to get, you might need them yourself one day. Maybe tomorrow? Usually the week after you throw them out, or sell them. :cry:
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Kiwi Kev wrote:Why would you be selling parts just for the sake of selling them?

If you live where you do, and parts are hard to get, you might need them yourself one day. Maybe tomorrow? Usually the week after you throw them out, or sell them. :cry:
Thanks KK. I have a PM and I'm not selling all parts. Like the badges, will never need them. Thanks again, I am wanting to try and use the electrical system off of the Major but not sure if this can be done. Another project and again thanks.
Gman

JC

Post by JC »

Bensdexta wrote:Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135
That explains it. Thanks Ben.