Tall air cleaner wanted

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
David in Wales
True Blue

Tall air cleaner wanted

Post by David in Wales »

I would like to fit one of the tall aircleaner stacks to my Super Major, they were fitted to export spec tractors.
If anyone can help me please get in contact. I will pay good price & all postage costs before shipping.
Thanks in advance
David

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello David

I'm sorry I can't help you with a long pre aircleaner, but I'm glad to see that someone has raised the question. :D When I was a little lad my father owned two Super Dexta and both had the long air cleaner which I have not seen on any of the overseas Dexta and Major tractors other than a old picture of a Major that was driven by a young man posted just a little while ago. These air cleaners were about two feet(60cm) long. The question is why the long ones for export and not the local?

I hope someone can help you.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

One word Mervyn, Dust, Here at home we will probably need long air-cleaner tubes in the future as snorkels, that is why David is after one. :lol:

David, there was much interest in Meddo in your narrow Major. Could you post a few pictures again please?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hello Brian

Thanks for the confirmation, I vaguely thought it must have been something like that. Ironically though few of the tractors here today have long air cleaners, seem that they are tucked away under the bonnet.

Looks like I will have to find a long pipe myself to keep with those times. Just a thought, :idea: could one not take the short pre cleaner and cut the mushroom top off and have it welded to a longer pipe :?:

King regards
Mervyn

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Tall Air Cleaner Wanted

Post by BarryM »

Hi David,
I have gone through the Export Spare Parts books, right up to the Super Major, and there is no mention of an extended Primary Air Cleaner. Fordsons in Australia certainly didn't use them, but we did have a Vokes HD6 Primary Air Cleaner with a replaceable element. The Ebro Super 55 used the extended version.

I quote from a County Full Tracks Service Letter No. 58 1957.
"To improve operation under extremely dusty conditions all County Crawlers fitted with a Fordson Major type O.H.V. engines are now being supplied with a Primary Air Cleaner on which the extension pipe to the Main Air Cleaner, has been increased in length by approx. 21inches (Part No. E1ADKN 9680C).

To change from the short extension pipe to the new long pipe, or vice versa, makes a considerable difference to the speed of the engine, and if for any reason such a change becomes necessary, the engine governor must be reset to give an engine speed of 1850 r.p.m. maximum at no load.

On no account must an engine be run without a Primary Air Cleaner."
BarryM