Wanted Dexta key

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Wanted Dexta key

Post by Dexta »

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a key for dexta's, as i am in the process of looking to buy a standard dexta, when im at auctions it would be handy to have them running. i know its not normally allowed but i've been to many where people do this.

Where would be best to get hold of a key? I've looked on ebay there is a couple on there but look totally different keys, but they say for dexta's. :?

if any one can help that would be great. thanks in advance

Steve

Brian Cox
True Blue

Re: Wanted Dexta key

Post by Brian Cox »

the key is a very basic key I got one from ebay some time ago, works perfectly :clap:

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Thats good to know. Thanks. Does it matter if they are similar size key but different cut to it? As i saw a couple on ebay sayin for dexta but different cut. I guess it won't matter if i have a selection of keys, prob a good idea to have a few different ones. :D

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Dexta wrote: I guess it won't matter if i have a selection of keys, prob a good idea to have a few different ones. :D
Probably a better idea to make contact with the owner first.

If I was selling my tractor and someone used their own key to start my tractor, I would not be happy. :nono: :curse:
I also wonder what the legal view would be. :scratchhead:
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

here I am again. If the truth be known, you could probably use a screwdriver instead :clap:

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Kiwi Kev wrote:Probably a better idea to make contact with the owner first.
Might be quite difficult to find them at auction as i said in my original post :thumbs:

Kiwi Kev wrote:If I was selling my tractor and someone used their own key to start my tractor, I would not be happy. :nono: :curse:
I also wonder what the legal view would be. :scratchhead:
Dexta wrote: when im at auctions it would be handy to have them running. i know its not normally allowed but i've been to many where people do this.
I'm just a newbie after advice.

Yeah i like the idea about using a screw driver, not sure about the legality of that. :clap:

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

To be honest at a farm/machinery auction it is fairly standard practice to clamber all over the machine and fire it up, check gears etc. Sellers rarely leave the key in place since it soon gets stolen. In 15+ yrs of attending auctions I have never been accosted for starting up a tractor in the auction line-up. If it was at a rally where tractors were just on display rather than for public auction then of course it would be a different matter!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Agreed. Also when you consign a tractor to an Auction house, you have "given" it over to them to sell. To help with the sale they will not stop anyone from giving it a good looking over unless they are caught just plain abusing it. If you do not want people crawling all over your tractor, sell it privately to serious buyers only. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dexta »

Thanks for that chaps. :D

i'l just keep my eyes open on ebay for some keys.

thanks again

Steve

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Dexta, my thought on this subject would be that if the vendor has not left the key in the tractor so it can be started, or if the vendor or their agent are unavailable to start the tractor at your request, then the tractor is a non runner, and should be valued as a non runner. As allways at auction, what you see is what you get, and buyer beware! :eyes: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900